who REALLY owns Apple?

alexachucarro

I'm 1/4 Basque you know?...
I've had many an arguement as to who actually owns Apple.

People say Microsoft bought 10% of it, others say 90%. Others say it's still Jobs'.

Does anyone have the authority?

I think M$ bought $250. million in Apple Stock. That helped Apple start the iMac. I am not sure if any of that is correct. That is just what I have heard.

Hey, I own the company too (very minor shareholder), but yes you are correct, Microsoft did buy $250M in stock a while back, but has since sold those shares under the original agreement when they bought them. Not sure of the actual break down in shareholder status, but I'm sure we could find it in the annual report or in the Financial documents filed with the SEC. I read the last annual report some time ago, and it plainly stated that Steve Jobs continues to receive $1 per year as salary, but then there was that private jet that they gifted him and the huge amount of stock they allowed him to buy....

Microshaft bought $250mil in non-voting shares, so I think that if Microsloth wanted to take over apple, they would have to start buying stock from scratch, BTW I own apple (well ok some shares of apple but... you asked)

I'm pretty sure the investment in non voting Apple stock was $150 million, and Microsoft has long since sold it. The only power Microsoft has over Apple right now (and ever had) was the power of Office.

I was all for MS settling with the DOJ and not getting broken up, but their proposed settlement is a complete joke. By giving schools $100 million in free software, they are essentially doing the same thing that got them dragged in to court. The amaazing thing is the Government seems OK with this.

I think Microsoft should buy $100 million of Apple products and distribute them to schools. Now that would be a penalty for them. They don't lose a single thing giving away $100 million of their software. They actually make money off of it, since they essentially make the school a MS junkie, just waiting for the next "required" fix for the hardware/software they got for free...

From the y2K Annual Report:
"During the first quarter of 2000, the Company's Board of Directors approved a special executive bonus of the Company's Chief Executive Officer for past services in the form of an aircraft with a total cost to the Company of approximately $90 million, the majority of which is not tax deductible. Approximately half of the total charge is the cost of the aircraft. The other half represents all other costs and taxes associated with the bonus."

Pretty cool, annual salary of $1, $90 million bonus...Go Steve!

I recall seeing the specs in the papers that Apple had sent me before that shareholder's meeting, but I can't remember that now. I think it was a Leer Jet, but don't quote me on that. As far as the money is concerned, it is an insane amount of money, but he definitely helped turn the company around....

Of *course* 90 mio is a bit much for one man. Would you feel better if it was 30 mio? 10 mio? ... I think Steve Jobs has done quite some things to become what he is: An idol. For many people our beloved iCEO is not only a man who 'made it' financially, but who also kept being likeable.

I guess whatever he uses his plane for, it's also for the best of Apple. He's in the insanely great position that he doesn't have to work for his money - he can work for his ideals, stay sexy and make us all happy.

You're born into a life with chances and threats. And however bad your chances might be from the start, you alone make your decisions.

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
I think Microsoft should buy $100 million of Apple products and distribute them to schools. Now that would be a penalty for them. They don't lose a single thing giving away $100 million of their software. They actually make money off of it, since they essentially make the school a MS junkie, just waiting for the next "required" fix for the hardware/software they got for free...

Personally, I think MS should be donating more basic facilities. I dunno if computers are really the priority for many of the schools that need help.

they should be forced to donate books, etc.

or rebuild the ghetto public schools, etc...

If ghetto schools actually look like schools, have books to read, teachers that stay, then they can donate computers to schools...

Back