Whoa. How Did He Do This???

Mikuro said:
I'm wondering the same thing myself. I'm going to keep it around, and I think sooner or later I'll find good uses for it.

One idea I have is to make one set that's sort of like Dashboard, only for normal apps. Put in Calculator, Activity Monitor, Dictionary, etc. Maybe even a few Safari windows. It'll be almost like what Dashboard should have been! ;) (I am not a fan of Dashboard, in case you can't tell.)
Hey, thanks for that idea--I like it! Yeah, I'm not a fan of Dashboard/Widgets either, which is one reason why I prefer Panther over Tiger.

I'm going to keep Desktop Manger for now and see how it goes in the future. I might do what you said. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

This is pretty neat. I like the keyboard shortcuts a lot. However, I'm in the same boat as you guys with the "Is this really helping me?" deal. I kinda felt the same way about this as I did with the desktop managers for KDE and GNOME (It is pretty much the same concept). I always forget what desktop I have stuff on, or forget that I HAD stuff running. I always completely forgot about any AIM conversations that I was having as soon as I switched to a new desktop. It's not as bad with this because the dock still gives you notifications, but I still find myself click on the icon a few times before I remember that it's on a different desktop :p.

The ability to have a clean desktop w/o messing with any of the windows you currently have open is great though. The expose show desktop thing is nice... but as soon as you open a new app they all come back.

I agree with HateEternal. I've been messing around with Desktop Manager since I installed it, and I keep saying, "Wow, this is SO cool, great eye candy! But ... is it really helping me?" Like I stated previously, I think someone who runs a lot of apps simulaneously would benefit greatly from DM, but someone like myself who only runs a few apps at a time ... well, there's always eye candy. ;)

Still can't get over that "cube" effect of switching between desktops. Whoa.

i just switched from Desktop Manager to Virtue Desktop. Desktop manager is more or less end of life, he's not doing any more dev on it.

The reason I like virtual desktops. on a 12 inch iBook, having Mail, Firefox, and 2-3 pages docs open is a bit cluttery. expose is great but not enough. I use it on the "writing" desktop and it's useful. with so many apps all on the same desktop, wasn't much use to me at all.

I think I made my decision: I'm uninstalling Desktop Manager. Sure, it looks pretty with its eye candy and "cube" effects when switching desktops, but I usually don't run more than a few apps at a time, so I really have no use for DM. And now I'm over the eye candy part. lol

Amie: you can still have the Cube transition: make another user and activate fast user switching in OS X.

Probably no more useful, but at least you don't have to install any other software to see the cool effect ;).

Amie said:
Can't use Virtue Desktop. Won't run on anything but Tiger.
Had I but read that - or the system requirements on the web page for that matter - before downloading it. Duh.:(

Lt Major Burns said:
join the club. exposé has all the eye candy you need, and you get used to it, but it's also functional!
I looooove Exposé and use it all the time ... but it ain't the eye candy that DM is. Ah well. Can't have everything. At least Exposé is more functional than DM.

texanpenguin said:
Amie: you can still have the Cube transition: make another user and activate fast user switching in OS X.

Probably no more useful, but at least you don't have to install any other software to see the cool effect ;).
That's interesting. See, I learn cool tips here all the time! :)

Lt Major Burns said:
get tiger. dashboard has lots of eye candy, and is next to useless. you'd love it.
Nooooo! That's what I'm saying--that's what I DON'T like: useless eye candy. That's why I'm uninstalling DM. And I HATE Tiger and all its stupid little Dashboard widgets. Annoying as hell. lol

Back