Whoisconnected - Can Someone Please Help Me?

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
I downloaded the Whoisconnected widget - just one problem. I have no idea how to read it. I see all these IP addresses but who are they? Where are they coming from? Can someone please explain to me how to use/read this widget in layman terms, please?

I see a long list of "Application Unknown (other user)" with different IPs and when I click on them, they seem to be mostly businesses and corporations. Why are they on my computer?

Also, I see under the Bonjour list, it says "Listening." I don't even use Bonjour nor do I have it turned on.

I basically downloaded the widget because that's what I do sometimes - I download widgets out of curiosity, play around with it for a while, educate myself, learn, explore, then if I decide I don't want/need it, I get rid of it.

So basically, I am stumped. I don't know what any of this means and would like to learn. Thank you in advance. :)

What you have there are apps that will call home or are listening for instructions such as Date & Time (Apple time server) My browser is showing 8 different address's right now which are the servers for this webpage, but it's nothing to worry about. For an idea of how much your apps call home,download an app called "Little Snitch". It monitors your outgoing connections from all of your apps and asks you to ok them. You won't believe how much communication goes on!

Back