Who's your favorite apple ad "CHARACTER"?

I like the Windows system admin and the bearded programmer. I am a programmer who for year thought I could only do what I do on a PC, so I can relate to them very well. :D

I do like Sarah Whister for the "horrid little machine" comment, and the DJ gal, cuz she seems way cool.

Has anyone else read over the "real stories" on Apple's website only to come to the conclusion that they are total BS, made up by Apple or some ad agency that obviously takes the rest of the world for idiots.

My case being "Dave Haxton", a "die-hard PC and UNIX guy for years." My first problem with this so called "real letter" is that Unix is spelled entirely in capital letters, something only Apple tends to do for some unknown reason. Second, the letter goes on to say that our friend Dave, the die-hard "UNIX" guy discovered Apple's brand new Mac OS X at CompUSA for the first time on the new iMac. By the time the new iMac had been released, OS X was already over a year old, not exactly new and since our friend Dave here is such a Unix guru, considering OS X is Unix based, should he have not had the slightest inkling of it's existance? A Unix programmer for the last 25 years not knowing a thing about OS X until he happened upon it at CompUSA on a brand new iMac, please. Of course he ended up with a PowerMac and Studio Display, he just needed to brag about the iMac for the hell of it, not like he was trying to sell it or anything. Then he goes on to tote the benefits of a Mac, none of which I disagree.

I could note discrepancies and obvious manufactured sales pitches in all the "real letters" actually, but this one stuck out the most to me for some reason. Anyway, you can find the stories at the URL below.

http://www.apple.com/switch/stories/

Originally posted by azosx
Has anyone else read over the "real stories" on Apple's website only to come to the conclusion that they are total BS, made up by Apple or some ad agency that obviously takes the rest of the world for idiots.

Ut oh, it looks like somebody on a mac board is using his head. This must be stopped. Don't say negative things against the company. Don't suggest that a one year warranty is cheap. Don't suggest that their processors are slow. And of course, don't suggest that their ads are made up.

Drink the kool aid. Go back into your trance. Forget this ever happened.

:)

Vanguard

Smells like teen spirit. ;)

Hm... In fact, I have a good friend. She works for a company who specializes in Java programming. She's used to Windows at home and works on a Sun Workstation at work. When I told her that Mac OS X is in fact a UN*X derivate, she started drooling again. In fact, she bought the iBook (Combo, 12") only because there was OS X. And she didn't really know about it before I showed it to her, although she had had experience with Mac OS 8 from school.

Now she's a Microsoft hater and UN*X lover like she was before, but she's also an Apple fan. She would never touch Mac OS 9, though, which is understandable, seeing where she's coming from.

Those stories *are* true, Apple asked for them a while ago (two months?). They may have edited spelling errors, thus the 'UNIX' you seem to find strange. (Well, it is not, as even http://www.bsd.org does it in upper case.)

But I must say, again, that I don't like the ad campaign at all. It's not aimed at Mac users, of course, which is also a good thing. But I don't think that 'die-hard UNIX geeks' will drool over these ads. Those guys, and I know some of them, drool over very, very different stuff. You'd have to show them that you can dig deep into the system, which is not suited for TV spots. Easiest: Show them the cool hardware (the TiBook, the PowerMac, the Xserve), tell them they're cheaper than your average Sun/sgi/whatever workstation and make it very clear that Mac OS X is a first class citizen in a UNIX/mixed/Java/whatever environment.

I think Apple has lost much of its style momentum with the new ads.

I'm new to this Mac forum and certainly mean no offense so don't take me
for a troll. Honestly I think Macs are great. Better than my PCs in many
ways. I own two, a G4 Cube and a Titanium PowerBook. I just don't agree
that talking bad about the competition and the obvious "embellishment" of
these "real stories" is the right direction for Apple to take their
advertisment campaign. I've been a DOS/Windows PC user for over a decade
and a Linux and FreeBSD user since 1995, and still am. The only reason I
picked up a few Macs is OS X. To me, "That horrid little machine" refers
to the Bondi Blue iMacs at the university running OS 9 with hockey puck
mice and minature keyboards not even suitable for midgets. They sit their
dormant in the corner only used when a PC running Windows 2000 is not
available. Yes, anyone who's ever run Windows dreads the "blue screen of
death" but is that really that much different than the "bomb boxes" that
popped up in every Mac OS before X? Sure, they didn't necessarily take
your computer down, but if you can't open more than one application due to
the OS's poor memory management and multitasking, or lack there of, what's
the difference? Yes, OS X may have leveled the playing field between OS's
but it still has a long way to come as well. Why do Mac people think to
be a Mac lover, you need to be a PC hater? Maybe it's bred into you from the begining, something I don't understand and maybe that's why I can't
relate to Apple's "real stories" of PC converts that now love Mac and
despise PCs. A lot of PC users love their machines and are just as loyal
as Mac users. Having "real people" tell them how horrid their equipment
is and how unproductive they're being for using it is truely an insult. I
see all the Mac fanatics cheer these adds on, and it probably wont hurt
your 3% of the market, but hopefully it doesn't put a dirty taste in the
mouths of the other 97% for years to come.

The ads kinda remind me of TV-shop..ugh... like, "the new hair-saw2000pro-deluxe made my life SO much better, I couldn't do without it"

and yeah, like fryke said, of course Apple fixes the spelling errors etc to make it look good. (everything has to look good at Apple, and that's a good thing though:))

Originally posted by RyanLang
I like Liza because the mac is totally dominant in the music scene, plus she's pretty cute.
I second that.;)

My favorite apple ad character of all time is Jeff Goldblum.:D

I like the DJ lady because right at the end she say's here name and "I'm a Dj." But she says it in a way like "Duh Don't you know already... I'm a DJ." It is just here expression when she says that one statement. I watch it sometimes when I am sad, and it makes me laugh. So the DJ wins in my book.

Originally posted by Inline_guy
I like the DJ lady because right at the end she say's here name and "I'm a Dj." But she says it in a way like "Duh Don't you know already... I'm a DJ." It is just here expression when she says that one statement. I watch it sometimes when I am sad, and it makes me laugh. So the DJ wins in my book.

The way the girl said she was a DJ, it made it sound as if she was lying and the truth was that she was unemployed or something. Watch the ad again, she really looks like a liar.

Andre

Back