Why Are Some DVD's uncopyable?

mnw11

Registered
MacRipper & Popcorn usually allow me to make flawless copies of DVD's. Occasionally however, after ripping certain DVDs, Popcorn gives an error msg stating it "cannot handle the contents of this Video_TS folder." Why can't these DVD's be copied? Is there a work-around?

Well, one possibility is, single-layer DVD-Rs simply have less storage capacity than dual layer discs do.

Either way, it pains me to hear that you have copied enough DVDs to have detected such a pattern. This board isn't a haven for video pirates. :(

If the discs you're copying aren't copywrited, then how were they created? This might shed some light.

Sony uses Advanced protection with ARccOS;
• Prevention of unauthorized 1:1 copies on PC
• Prevention of ripping and recompression
• The only dynamic digital Copy Control available
• Fully compatible with available DVD players and drives
• Most effective digital copy control for DVD-Video on the market
• Developed by Sony DADC, the leading provider of copy control solutions (SecuROMTM for DVD-ROM, CD-ROM and key2audioXSTM for CD-Audio)

Please don't ask on these forums how to illegally copy DVD's. It'll get you banned.

Thank you for the replies. To clarify--I did not ask anyone about how to do anything illegal. The "holier than thou" attitude and "toe the line or else" mentality that permeates these discussion boards seems (to me) unwarranted. I meant no harm or evil with my post, yet brianleahy is "pained" and calls me a video pirate and bobw issues a threat to ban me. I'm no lawyer but I believe it is legal to make a copy for personal use of a DVD that I own. Many good and useful tools can be used for nefarious purposes if one so chooses. I asked a straightforward question and hoped for useful information that would help me solve my problem. If you tried to help I thank you, but you can keep your sermons, threats, and name-calling to yourself.

I always choose my words very carefully sir. I called you no names.

I said "this board is not a haven for video pirates." At the time I wrote this, I knew exactly ONE thing about you - not even your real name - only that you wanted to know how to copy protected DVDs. I did not directly accuse you, but I wanted you to understand that if you're looking to make money on illegal discs -- and there are LOTS of people doing just that -- that you've come to the wrong place.

And legal or not, it does pain me to hear that people are copying copyrighted DVDs. The movie studios are paranoid about piracy, a fact that delayed the original release of DVDs and progressive-scan DVD players by months or years - because the studios wanted assurances that perfect copies could not be made. They got their assurances, and now all those assurances have been shown to be total BS.

Now HD recorders and HD-DVDs are poised to make their appearances, and I can't help but wonder what sorts of weird delays and irritating restrictions we will see now because of the undeniable fact of piracy.

For all I know you may be a total boy-scout. If so, bravo for you sir. But based on that first post, there was no way for me to know that.

um. there is no law forbidding the creating of a personal "backup" copy of a dvd or cd or whatever. BUT. it is illegal to break the CSS/ARccOS encryption which protects commercial DVDs.

however. having said that, and having nothing to do with how you got the Video_TS folder onto your hard drive, try playing in VLC or DVD Player

nmw11

I didn't issue a threat to ban you. Just stated our Board policy so you would be aware. Didn't mean to offend you.

Back