Why buy an Apple?

For starters, I don't want this to sound insulting. I would just like to start a thread in which Mac users would list their reasons for choosing the Mac over a PC and reasons WHY somebody should choose a Mac over a PC. This should be pretty interesting.

For myself, the aesthetics of both the physical computer and its operating, as well as the fluidity of its operation attract me. The security and stability further enhance my attraction

I'd like to read what others have to write about their little box.

I do not think that the looks of the computer are that big of a deal. But I think sometimes that a nice looking atmosphere can be an inspiration.

OS X is my favorite OS. It is a little slow right now, but I think Jaguar will fix that.

No Windows OS. windows is made by M$. A horrible monopoly that wants to control your life. need I say more ?

Originally posted by Nummi_G4
I do not think that the looks of the computer are that big of a deal. But I think sometimes that a nice looking atmosphere can be an inspiration.

lets put it this way..i wouldn't have this mac if it looked like my dells do

I switched to an iBook 500 about a year ago after my PC was stolen out of my dorm room. At the time, I did it because the guy in the campus book store told me it was coolest laptop he'd ever used and pretty much talked me into it.

Boy am I glad he did. I actually sold my iBook on eBay a couple months ago in hopes of buying an iMac in a few weeks. I'm living at home now and have been using my father's Gateway PC with Windows XP, and I've determined why I wouldn't even consider a PC for my next computer:
  • Crashing: Mac OS X crashed on me, maybe 5 times in the 9 months I used it. Windows XP has crashed on me 5 times in one hour. Seriously.
  • Installing: Installing apps on a Mac is as easy as dragging it to your hard drive. Uninstalling is as easy as dragging it to the trash.
  • iApps: iMovie and iPhoto really are two of my main reasons to go back to a Mac. There just is nothing like them on Windows and they're FREE.
  • Support: I was definately a newbie with my iBook. Luckily I had an Apple Store that opened in the new mall near me, so whenever I had a problem I just carried my laptop over and they fixed it. No questions were asked, no receipts were needed, they just replaced what was broken or reinstalled what I goofed and I left within the hour with a working computer.

I recently went with my dad to the Gateway Country store with his PC because it was rebooting itself for no apparant reason. I could tell they were trying to help us out, but after 3 trips to the store and them holding the PC for 3 days it is back in our house. Still rebooting for no apparant reason.

It really was a very nice experience to go through. I was never a big computer 'buff' until I got a Mac. I joined these forums for help during my PC-Mac conversion. I just can't say enough, it's a really great computer that doesn't hassle you.

to buy a Mac and not a PC...

1. Stability. No computer is impervious to system crashes *yet*, but OS X is much more solid than XP...

2. Virus. Not a worry on the Mac. On the PC, if you open the wrong attachment - boom - prepare for a headache...

3. iApps. As noted, they are free, and there is nothing of comparable quality on the PC side, whether you pay for it or not.

4. The widest range of compatability. The only platform that can run classic Mac OS apps, Windows apps (via VPC), UNIX apps, and of course, Mac OS X apps.

5. Ultra cool hardware. Yeah, it's more expensive - but it looks great, it's much more reliable than comparable PC hardware, and it holds it's value better, allowing you to resell on eBay and get more of your money back when you decide to upgrade.

6. Easier to use. OS X is just easier to use on just about every level compared to WinXP. It's easier to navigate, easier to install/remove applications, easier to setup networks, easy to connect to wireless networks, etc.

7. EULA. Or "End User License Agreement". Take a look at the EULA for Windows. It basically states that you don't "own" your OS. You are just granted a temporary "license" to use it. The WinXP EULA was enough to make one longtime Windows user switch to a Mac (can't remember his name - he's a Java developer formerly from Sun, I believe).

8. Digital Hub. OK, both computers can interact with DVCamcorders, Digitial Cameras, MP3 Players, etc. But after you've used a Mac with these devices (usually by way of the aforementioned iApps), you just don't want to go back to using the Windows software. For example - I use iPhoto with my digital camera on my Mac. I loaded the cameras software on my PC to see how well it worked. It did the job, but was no where near as efficient, logical, or easy to use as the Mac. Same goes for iTunes and iMovie.

Hmmmm. That's all I have time to write. I could probably write an entire thesis on this issue....

yeah, serpico reminded me of the compatability with hardware. When you buy something new for a Windows machine, (as you know) you have install drivers and many times software in order to use that piece of hardware, be it a scanner, printer, digital camera, etc. With a Mac, 98% of the time you plug it in and it's recognized. Not only that, but it will work seemlessly with your OS and all your apps.

A lot of these things are hard to explain and even remember. You pretty much have to experience it for yourself, how easy these Macs and OS X really make your [computer] life.

Originally posted by themacko
yeah, serpico reminded me of the compatability with hardware. When you buy something new for a Windows machine, (as you know) you have install drivers and many times software in order to use that piece of hardware, be it a scanner, printer, digital camera, etc. With a Mac, 98% of the time you plug it in and it's recognized. Not only that, but it will work seemlessly with your OS and all your apps.

A lot of these things are hard to explain and even remember. You pretty much have to experience it for yourself, how easy these Macs and OS X really make your [computer] life.

Well with XP, that hasn't been a problem for me. Just about everything, except the printer, was recognized upon install. But I do agree that Apple is somewhat better on this front as well.

Andre

I'd say simplicity. If you're a computer oldie you will find your way whatever the problems may be, but personally I've found a lot less trouble working with my Mac than with my PC. What's worse, it seems every PC app/system gives you phonebook-sized manuals explaining how easy the product is to use, with Mac the product is so easy to use that you don't even need this manual.

Just as an example, I once tried to get help with setting up a network card in Windows 98 SE(maybe not a fair conparison since it's like OS 9 to us) and "Help" basically just told me how much easier it was to do than if I were using Windows 95. The manual did the same. It had 2 pages each telling me that the solution was on the other one.

This was the last Windows OS I bought, but I've used ME and XP after this, both gave me a headache

...and "Help" basically just told me how much easier it was to do than if I were using Windows 95. The manual did the same. It had 2 pages each telling me that the solution was on the other one.

while i have never owned a pc personally and my only experience doing installs and stuff on one has been helping my stepdad on occasion, i have noticed that many manuals devote about 2-3 times the amount of space to windows installations and instructions as they do mac. i once thought this was the manufacturer treating us as an afterthought until i actually read the windows instructions and realized that it just took that many more steps to do what you can do on a mac with a simple drag and drop.

very good point voice!!!

Macs and PCs all boil down to personal preference. I don't think one is superior to the other but I do believe PCs have a comparative advantage over Macs.

OS X is wonderful, and is the only reason I purchased a Mac in the first place. OS 9 and below were never really that good, especially compared to Windows NT or 2000. I rarely ran Windows 98 or below so never had to deal with the blue screen of death or crashing.

Between memory management, or lack there, bomb windows popping up in OS 9, hockey puck mice and minature keyboards, the iMacs at the college were unusable to me.

OS X has never crashed on me and neither has Windows 2000. 2000 seems to have a lot better memory management while X seems to freak a bit when running large applications. This can be remedied to a degree by installing over 512MB of RAM.

As for security, X has hardly been on the scene long enough nor has the market share to be thoroughly tested. Unix is a bigger security nightmare than Windows ever dreamed of being. It's only Windows market share that gives would be hackers the desire to exploit Windows over anyone else.

Driver support in 2000/XP is top notch as well as in X. I've never had a problem as long as I buy name brand hardware and 2000/XP detect 95% of it without me having to install additional drivers. Yes, X runs almost flawless on the hardware it ships with but you're kidding yourself if you think some 3rd party printers, scanners, cameras and so forth aren't a headache trying to run in X. Also, you're lucky if drivers even exist for much of the hardware on the market today.

iApps are cool and certainly a great value being bundled with X for free. Windows 2000/XP has comparable apps but I do like iApps a lot more.

I have a Dell laptop and their support has always been top notch. One thing I like is they own up to any defect found in their product, documented or not, and fix it with no questions asked. Something no Mac user can claim, especially with cracked Cubes and peeling Titanium PBs and so on.

3rd party software is almost always released for Windows before Mac OS. In a lot of cases it's never released for Mac OS, but then Mac OS usually has a comparable product. When apps such as Office v.X, Norton Utilities, Flash and so forth are released for Mac OS, they seem extremely buggy and unstable compared to their PC counter parts.

Apple wins hands down on hardware design, yet this does add significantly to the cost of their products. The only PC manufactuer that I'd consider comparable is IBM. Their Thinkpad line of notebook computers are awesome but they to are considerably more expensive than most other PC manufacturers.

All in all my PB G4 DVI is a much better system than my older Dell laptop or any laptop Dell has to offer today. I certainly don't see any PowerMacs replacing my PC desktop machine anytime soon though. Cost/performance/productivity wise, my PC is a far superior machine running Windows 2000 Advanced Server than anything Apple has to offer.

Right now I'd never switch, but I'm happy to be using both a PC and Mac.

One quick note. I think there a lot of confusion about Windows and the fact that it sucks. Yes, I'll admit Windows 98 does suck, but if you were ever to run NT, 2000 and XP Professional, you'd see there's and entirely different side to Windows. It's like night and day and you really shouldn't judge Windows on only their consumer offering, XP Home especially.

Originally posted by azosx
As for security, X has hardly been on the scene long enough nor has the market share to be thoroughly tested. Unix is a bigger security nightmare than Windows ever dreamed of being. It's only Windows market share that gives would be hackers the desire to exploit Windows over anyone else.

Driver support in 2000/XP is top notch as well as in X. I've never had a problem as long as I buy name brand hardware and 2000/XP detect 95% of it without me having to install additional drivers. Yes, X runs almost flawless on the hardware it ships with but you're kidding yourself if you think some 3rd party printers, scanners, cameras and so forth aren't a headache trying to run in X. Also, you're lucky if drivers even exist for much of the hardware on the market today.

I just wanted to disagree with these two paragraphs.

For the first and security, it's hardly an argument to say that the only reason Windows has bad security is because they have 95% of the market share. I haven't heard of another platform (other than Windows) that has a browser that can pose a security flaw when you press the back button in the browser – and Microsoft says this isn't a security flaw because the hacker has to induce the user to press the back button. How about the fact that Outlook and Outlook Express can automatically execute code on the opening of an e-mail? And the time when IE (I believe this affected the Mac, too) was shown to automatically launch downloaded files even if they weren't compressed files, making people vulnerable to malicious code that could be downloaded.

I think it's ludicrous to say that UNIX is a less secure operating system when the people who make it actually CARE about security. Anybody in their right mind can't say that Microsoft is committed to security.

My second beef is with third-party products and Mac OS X. While there may be SOME scanners/cameras and stuff that is "a headache" to run on Mac OS X, they are few and far between. In my experience, all I need to do in Mac OS X is plug it into my Mac, and it will be recognized. Cameras, digital camcorders, MP3 players, etc. They all work after JUST PLUGGING THEM IN. Case in point: I plugged in my SuperDisk drive that I bought in 1998 when I got my ORIGINAL iMac. When I put in a disk, it popped up on the desktop – whether it was a regular disk or a 120 MB SuperDisk – NO DRIVERS needed. That's what I call plug-and-play, and I doubt Windows can match this ease of use.

Anyway, there are many other things that keep me on a Mac. As has been noted, Mac OS X is just so much easier to use on every level. When I went into my summer job the other day (which is to design a website), I tried to use the Windows PC they gave me for a few days, but I just couldn't do it. I was always trying to mess around with getting it to do what I want – to get Windows to open the file in the correct program, to find a good program that would allow me to do something, even something as simple as changing windows/apps (which is SO ANNOYING in Windows because applications windows are often contained within another super-window, which GREATLY LIMITS your productivity). Windows just sucks at helping you to do your work.

In contrast, when I started bringing my mom's iBook into work with me, I just started working right away, and I'm happy to say that the website is coming along very nicely, thanks to my Mac. I'd still be having a headache had I been still using the PC.

Other factors: plug-and-play with third party devices out of the box is VERY convenient. Column view and the Dock are very nice additions to the Mac OS that can't be matched by Windows. iApps are TOTALLY unmatched – Windows Movie Maker doesn't hold a candle to iMovie. Furthermore, it's really nice to be able to have both the power of UNIX and the simplicity of the Macintosh united in one operating system – I have learned to do some stuff with UNIX to troubleshoot the few problems I have, and I would never have been able to do that with either Windows or the Classic Mac OS.

The other thing is that beauty is VERY important. I don't like using ugly boxes that are just slapped together – it just shows that the manufacturer doesn't particularly care about the consumer – they are just trying to make money. On the other hand, Apple takes the time to design great, beautiful computers, and use much higher quality parts, and that's a main reason why I buy them. With Mac OS X, the design of the system software UI perfectly complements the design of the hardware.

And the other thing is that the Mac is actually less expensive in the long run. I spend much less time troubleshooting my Mac and less money repairing my Mac over the course of its lifetime. You will eventually spend less money, and have less headaches, using a Mac than you will with Windows, and that's probably the most important thing in the long run. I want my computer to work, not me to work trying to get the computer to work.

But again, like others have said, you can't really appreciate the Mac until you try one. It's just so hard to put in words, because once you become a Mac user, you just take all that stuff for granted that you can't when you use Windows.

I use both. I do prefer the Mac, however.

Mac:

Interface is much better looking, and when you look at it ~100% of the time when using a computer it should look good.

iTunes is sooo nice. Media Player is a frustrating nightmare.

iMovie and my digital camcorder are amazing. I can't find the Firewire port on my pc. Hmm. . .

Office 2001 is usually a joy to work with.

Unix is more cryptic and fun, although if that's not your thing you can avoid it.

There are enough top games on the Mac to keep gamers busy, especially now.

True geeks should have at least one of each. But, come on, Mac is better.

Yes, I'll admit Windows 98 does suck, but if you were ever to run NT, 2000 and XP Professional, you'd see there's and entirely different side to Windows.

While NT and 2000 are rock solid, the reports I read of XP and XP Pro are not quite as stellar. I've got XP Pro here ready to install on my next box I build, so I can't attest to that.

But that brings me to another plus for Apple -

Thanks to MS's new licensing scheme, I now have to get a code from MS when I install WinXP on my next computer. If I should alter that hardware setup, WinXP will tell me I've violated it's agreement and require that I retrieve another code, which means I have to call Microsoft, explain that I didn't steal their software, and that I've just changed a few components, and will they *please* give me a code to let me computer continue working.

I can't believe there isn't more outrage over this then there is. Especially since PC geeks are very keen on upgrading just about every component in their system, or at least that's what they'll tell you when you talk about Apple, and they try to tell you that you can't upgrade a Mac like you can a PC....

I have a bit of a hard time with that question because Apple may not be for everyone. Why buy an Apple? Try one, you'll see.

The question should be 'Why buy a Windows box?'
A: They have more games.
More games than a console system? Better hardware for the same price? I doubt it.
A: They are easier to use.
Um.... no
A: They are cheaper.
Time and again studies are released showing Apple to be cheeper, especially if time is taken into account. Less crashes = less time == less money. Better hardware == better life. Bundled software == less headaches when the borrowed digital camera doesn't have editing software for the class presentation.

People have other choices. If your purple helmeted warrior is too short to ride the pony and you must make up for it by having 2 GHz, use linux. If you want to get work done, Macintosh will be there for you.

Originally posted by simX

once you become a Mac user, you just take all that stuff for granted that you can't when you use Windows.

Absolutely true, you won't really know the simplicity till you switch back. When I started Mac-ing I knew every corner of Windows, now I can't install a simple network-card. I've been spoiled by stuff that just works...

Originally posted by serpicolugnut

I can't believe there isn't more outrage over this then there is. Especially since PC geeks are very keen on upgrading just about every component in their system, or at least that's what they'll tell you when you talk about Apple, and they try to tell you that you can't upgrade a Mac like you can a PC....

Also true. PC users seem to be talking notihing but trash about Windows...until you let them know you own a Mac, suddenly Windows is the best thing ever invented

Originally posted by Koelling
Less crashes = less time == less money.

Umm...
More crashes==less time==less money

For the first and security, it's hardly an argument to say that the only reason Windows has bad security is because they have 95% of the market share. I haven't heard of another platform (other than Windows) that has a browser that can pose a security flaw when you press the back button in the browser – and Microsoft says this isn't a security flaw because the hacker has to induce the user to press the back button. How about the fact that Outlook and Outlook Express can automatically execute code on the opening of an e-mail? And the time when IE (I believe this affected the Mac, too) was shown to automatically launch downloaded files even if they weren't compressed files, making people vulnerable to malicious code that could be downloaded.

I think it's ludicrous to say that UNIX is a less secure operating system when the people who make it actually CARE about security. Anybody in their right mind can't say that Microsoft is committed to security.

My second beef is with third-party products and Mac OS X. While there may be SOME scanners/cameras and stuff that is "a headache" to run on Mac OS X, they are few and far between. In my experience, all I need to do in Mac OS X is plug it into my Mac, and it will be recognized. Cameras, digital camcorders, MP3 players, etc. They all work after JUST PLUGGING THEM IN. Case in point: I plugged in my SuperDisk drive that I bought in 1998 when I got my ORIGINAL iMac. When I put in a disk, it popped up on the desktop – whether it was a regular disk or a 120 MB SuperDisk – NO DRIVERS needed. That's what I call plug-and-play, and I doubt Windows can match this ease of use.

Unix is a 30 year old monster. Yes, over the past 30 years it's grown into a mature stable OS that comes in many different flavors but essentially nothing in it has changed since day 1. Many would consider it antiquated and that is a lot of the reason why Windows controls 60% of the server market today. Unix became a clunky beast that nobody wanted to pour the time and money into anymore. Before Linux, Windows was a hell of a lot cheaper to run in the server market than VAX, BSDi or HP-UX.

Running OS X obviously doesn't mean you know the first thing about Unix. For the past 30 years, Unix in the forms of HP-UX, VAX, Sys V, SCO, BSDi, and many many others have been plagued with worms, viruses, exploits and buffer overflows that would make Windows security issues look like a broken HTML link.

Also, Unix gave birth to a lot of the worms, viruses and exploits that exist for Windows today.

Do a little research about the history of Unix before making incorrect generalizations about it. You can start here . My favorite quote is, "Linux and Unix users aren't immune to Code Red-style worms. In fact, we invented them."

It's ludicris to think Unix is any more secure than Windows is today. Why don't you pick a flavor other than OS X, run it for the next 7 years like I have, then report back to me your insights on Unix security.

If I had a dollar for every exploit, backdoor and buffer overflow I've had to patch in Linux, I'd be richer than Bill Gates right now.

The bottom line is, Unix is NOT anymore secure than Windows and thanks to Windows current dominace in the server and home market, this isn't as apparent as it once was. When you have 60 and 95% server and home market share, who do you think a*sholes are going to exploit, BeOS?

As for plug-in-play, Windows pretty much pioneered it. You'd be surprised if you actually used Windows. You can plug in hardware circa 1994 and have it automatically detected by Windows XP. That's the beauty of it's extensive driver library. Something that OS X is trying to build with ever update and release.

Say what you will about Windows and security but until you have run more OS's than you can count on both hands, you really have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Originally posted by azosx

Unix is a 30 year old monster. Yes, over the past 30 years it's grown into a mature stable OS that comes in many different flavors but essentially nothing in it has changed since day 1. Many would consider it antiquated and that is a lot of the reason why Windows controls 60% of the server market today. Unix became a clunky beast that nobody wanted to pour the time and money into anymore. Before Linux, Windows was a hell of a lot cheaper to run in the server market than VAX, BSDi or HP-UX.

Running OS X obviously doesn't mean you know the first thing about Unix. For the past 30 years, Unix in the forms of HP-UX, VAX, Sys V, SCO, BSDi, and many many others have been plagued with worms, viruses, exploits and buffer overflows that would make Windows security issues look like a broken HTML link.

Also, Unix gave birth to a lot of the worms, viruses and exploits that exist for Windows today.

Do a little research about the history of Unix before making incorrect generalizations about it. You can start here . My favorite quote is, "Linux and Unix users aren't immune to Code Red-style worms. In fact, we invented them."

It's ludicris to think Unix is any more secure than Windows is today. Why don't you pick a flavor other than OS X, run it for the next 7 years like I have, then report back to me your insights on Unix security.

If I had a dollar for every exploit, backdoor and buffer overflow I've had to patch in Linux, I'd be richer than Bill Gates right now.

The bottom line is, Unix is NOT anymore secure than Windows and thanks to Windows current dominace in the server and home market, this isn't as apparent as it once was. When you have 60 and 95% server and home market share, who do you think a*sholes are going to exploit, BeOS?

As for plug-in-play, Windows pretty much pioneered it. You'd be surprised if you actually used Windows. You can plug in hardware circa 1994 and have it automatically detected by Windows XP. That's the beauty of it's extensive driver library. Something that OS X is trying to build with ever update and release.

Say what you will about Windows and security but until you have run more OS's than you can count on both hands, you really have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Like I said, the argument that "Windows has 95% market share so obviously people will target it" holds no water. Show me some actual evidence that UNIX is more insecure than Windows, and then maybe I'll believe you. But not before. UNIX is a decade-old system, and therefore it probably inherently has more security because it's been around longer. Little snippets like the one you linked to doesn't enhance your argument either.

azosx: Feel free to prove me wrong, but you haven't yet. I readily will admit that I probably can't shake a stick at some people in regards to UNIX knowledge, and if you can show me I'm wrong in regards to UNIX security, I can admit that too. But I need evidence.

As for Windows inventing plug-and-play, I don't believe it either. Plugging in 1994 hardware is not impressive. It shows that PC users don't have the gall to give up years-old technology that has since been trumped by something like FireWire. Prove that Windows can match the plug-and-play of OS X, where it automatically detects FireWire hard drives and mounts them without one complaint, then I might believe you. But, as with the security argument, not before.

Oh, and just for the record? I've been running OS X off and on since the public beta (regularly since OS X 10.1 was released), and I haven't had a single virus or security exploit yet. That's.. what? 2 years, or 1 year regularly. That's pretty good considering what Windows users have to live with.

Back