Why can I connect with Netscape and not Safari?

brockway

Registered
This is strange. I can connect to the internet with my e-mail programs (Entourage and Mail) and other browsers (Netscape), but not with most Apple software, such as Safari, iTunes, or Software Update. This all started when the power recently went off (freak April snowstorm) for a few minutes. I used the disk utility to repair disk permissions, but that didn't help any.

Using Powermac G4/500 with OSX 10.3.8.

Thanks

If you haven't already done it, create a second user account for when you need to do some troubleshooting. Once established, log into your new user account and see if the "troublesome" applications behave. If they do, then the problem is not with the applications, but rather with the associated preferences in the original user account.

Thanks - That sounded like that might work. I tried it now and the same programs also didn't work when logged in with a different account.

Now what?

How do you trash preferences with OSX? Should I try that?

I found the source of the problem that WOULD allow me to connect to the internet with Entourage, Netcape and other software, but NOT with Safari, iTunes or Software Update. I checked my network settings again in System Preferences. Under the "Proxies" tab I unchecked the box "Web Proxy (HTTP)". That took care of the problem - I'm posting this if any one else runs into this issue.

Thanks

Back