Why can't I browse properly?

One serious shortcoming (compared to Windows, sorry Mac fans) of my Mac is the inability to "browse" to find a folder I want to save to. For example, I've just scanned a slide and want to save it to my hard drive. So I click on the "save" function, and my choices of destination are severly limited. I cannot, in my current state of ignorance, save the new file to a specific image folder in a parent folder (say "images") in a parent area (say my user folder) in the MacHD drive. I only have a choice of the desktop, or my userarea (but no subfolders). I have a choice of saving to:
1) the desktop
2) my user area folder (parent folder), no subfolders
3) documents (also parent folder, no sub-folders)
4) pictures (a folder put in ther by Apple, I don't want to use it, and if I did, I still cannot access any subfolders within)
5) Applications (is Apple serious?)!
6) Music (again, no sub-folders)
7) network (I don't have a network)
8) iDisk (whatever that is)
9) Power Mac G5 (oh, great!)
Am I crazy? What gives here? Surely no one puts up with this. Or does everyone put up with this?
So, I have to first save to someplace that I can get to, like the desktop, and then copy and paste to my real target folder as an additional step. Is that what I really have to do?
Barry

There should be a little arrow to the right of "save as" that is pointing down. Click it and it will point up and you will have all the options you want.

Back