Why does my iMac do this with Warcraft?

The specs are on the sig.

Seems that 1 in every 3 games, while I'm playing a random map of Warcraft 3, the computer would freeze. Everything would stop so I would have to press the power button to force the computer into sleep mode then waking it back up with a push of the button. About 90% of the time, I would get a disc. which would result in a loss. It can't possibly be with my modem being that I have cable.

Does this happen to anybody else? I can't figure out what the problem is. It happens at random times.

Three words. GET MORE RAM!!!!! I seem to remember it recommending at least 256megs of ram. Which means you should really have 512+

More RAM will solve your problem.

even 256 is slightly slow... i got 256 megs and 600 mhz, and its slightly slow.... but nothing too bad. Get the new imac, it's recommended for gaming!

It's the RAM dude. I've got 768 MB and it still locks on me sometimes. I know I've got a slower processor, but overall the experience is good.

I disagree with the previous posters. More RAM would reduce the frequency of page swaps, reducing your system's use of virtual memory pages stored on disk, which perform about 1000 times slower than RAM. More RAM, faster CPU, maybe even bigger/faster disk - these things will affect performance. If your problem was slow performance, choppy framerates, etc., then more RAM would be the solution.

What you have is a complete crash - a kernel panic. Some operations that the program executes cause a bug in the OS itself to manifest itself. More system resources will not make this go away; only correcting the buggy code in the OS will make the problem go away.

It might have something to do with your video card however - it might be a bug in the video card driver, or even in the video card hardware itself.

Originally posted by i am yujin
The specs are on the sig.

Seems that 1 in every 3 games, while I'm playing a random map of Warcraft 3, the computer would freeze. Everything would stop so I would have to press the power button to force the computer into sleep mode then waking it back up with a push of the button. About 90% of the time, I would get a disc. which would result in a loss. It can't possibly be with my modem being that I have cable.

Does this happen to anybody else? I can't figure out what the problem is. It happens at random times.

Check your internal HD for problems with Disk Utility by booting for Jaguar CD1... Also, fix your privileges while you are there just in case...

Try to get the latest patch via the internet for WC3... No matter what and by that I mean even if your problem dissapears with the above stuff, install at least another 128MB RAM!!! EVERYTHING will run/work faster and more stable...

Last but not least, if you have third party apps/utilities that use a lot of system resources, before running WC3 unload them from RAM if possible...

Try the above and let us know what gives! :D ;)

:)

Originally posted by hulkaros
Check your internal HD for problems with Disk Utility by booting for Jaguar CD1... Also, fix your privileges while you are there just in case...

Try to get the latest patch via the internet for WC3... No matter what and by that I mean even if your problem dissapears with the above stuff, install at least another 128MB RAM!!! EVERYTHING will run/work faster and more stable...

Last but not least, if you have third party apps/utilities that use a lot of system resources, before running WC3 unload them from RAM if possible...

Try the above and let us know what gives! :D ;)

:)
Alright, Ill try the disk utility thingy and see if it works later. I have the newest patch and when im playing WC3, it is the only app running since i need every little bit of ram. :p

And scruffy, i think you're right about the video part. I also get freezes in UT, Jedi Knight 2, and UT2k3. The same type.

WC3 is a new game and it probably hasn't had all the kinks ironed out yet.

I often run into crashes when playing OpenGL-heavy games. I think it might be a driver issue, but I have no idea. I should probably update my iMac's graphics drivers.

Hmmmm, it could be the RAM. More specifically, it could be bad RAM. Have you done a RAM test? I play War3 on my Athlon 1.6Ghz with a single stick of 512MB (WinXP). It's pretty good, except every now and then it crashes out with a "memory cannot be read" error - usually just in the most critical stage of a battlenet game (I've lost an entire level so far because of this).

Testing the RAM came up with a frequently reproducible (but still intermittent) error in a certain memory address.

So now I'm going to replace it under warranty and hope it stops Warcraft from crashing!

Back