why does os9 not see my slave drive?

Are you sure you defraged and not reformat? With the OS 9 as your start up, go to the utilities folder and select Disk First aid. See if that sees the drive.

Do you have any important files on that drive? I'd back them up, then run drive set up from the OS 9 CD (utilities folder).

Maybe it doesn't make enough money.

Hahah!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Uhm, so if I understand, diskwarrior DOES see it when you boot normally? And, I haven't used a newer version than 1.x of Diskwarrior, but it used to not defrag, just repair directories. I guess that's all moot though.

Anyway, if Diskwarrior sees your drive when booting from the internal drive (I assume again you're not just talking about a partitioned drive) Diskwarrior can work its magic on the other drive/partition. No need to have to boot from a cd as long as you aren't trying to get it to defrag/repair the directories on the startup disk.

Does the slave drive have the OS9 drivers installed? Sounds like it doesnt...

You can check with Disk Utility (I think in both OS X and 9).

HTH

I have read posts from other members regarding drives with their addresses (switches on the backs of the hard drives) both being set to "master" instead of one being "master" and one being "slave". Since there can be only one "master" drive, that's the one you see. Is the drive you cannot see one you installed yourself internally? You might try setting it as the "slave" manually as the factory setting is usually set to "master".

Cheers.

The other option is the drive you are trying to defrag is the "start up" drive, in which case you cannot defrag it. Are you running Disk Warrior exclusively from the cd? You could be running the program from the disk you want to defrag, which would make it not work.

Back