Why Doesn't Java Work Like It Should?

djeans

Registered
I was wondering if anybody could explain why if OS X is supposed to have the latest and greatest version of Java, why can't I get websites that use java to work? For example, Yahoo Chat, or any java webchat for that matter?

I am using 10.1.4 and have tried in IE, OmniWeb, Opera, Chimera, Netscape, and Fizzilla. The only one tha even comes close to working is Fizzilla, but it is so unstable that its not even worth the effort.

Please, someone tell me how to make this work.

Did you install the latest Java plug-in? Although IE has its own JVM in the browser, Mozilla variants (Mozilla, NN6, etc.) needs a Java plug-in. Check on version tracker, release candidate 1 of the plug-in was release last week.

-B

I have no trouble with Java in Mozilla 1.0rc1 with the latest Java plugin. Like phatsharpie said, check versiontracker for the latest plugin. Works great for me.

I downloaded the plugin, but that still doesn't tell me why if OS X has the lastest Java2 or whatever, why do i need to download 3rd party virtual machine plugins to make mozilla work? Even with the plugin, it still doesnt seem very stable.

And still, What's up with IE, the default browser for OS X? Why doesnt java work in it?

thanks for the help tho, i do appreciate it.

Even on Windows I had to download a Java plugin to make it work in Mozilla. And by default, IE should support most Java stuff. Maybe the site you're visiting is using a plugin or non-standard Java?

Also, the Java plugin ( http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=13225&db=mac ) is released by Mozilla, not a 3rd party. Java is built into the system, not something you can remove, so you don't have to worry about it going away. The plugin just enables it to work in the browser.

Also, With Mac OS updates, you'll always be sure that you have the latest Java 2 version released by Apple (Apple manages and released all Mac OS Java stuff, Sun doesn't.)

If you want to use OS X's implementation of Java, which actually works, cut and paste the address of the applet into the Java Launcher from /Applications/Utilities.
All of the browsers you've mentioned use their own implementation of Java, rather than the one supplied with OS X, so the results can be mixed.

Symphonix,t

I didnt think of that before, so i gave it a try. It was an interesting idea, but it didnt work either, unless I am doing something wrong. The one applet that i am testing this with is yahoo chat. Has anybody else had better luck? The applet launcher did absolutely nothing.

thanks

Back