Why go Intel?

The PowerPC 970 (original G5) was a derivate of the Power4 chip. However: The PPC 970 was clearly aimed at desktop use, i.e. they removed a core and added AltiVec etc. They also did something about the heat. Since they sold Apple a "future" - not only one processor line, I'd say the expectation was to bring the 64bit chip down to mobile devices eventually. Steve Jobs himself said that he had two expectations that weren't met: 3 GHz and a notebook processor. Yesterday, the Freescale CEO (who was _there_ at IBM before his job at Freescale) said IBM _decided_ not to do a notebook version later on in the game. (- http://haligon.blogspot.com/2005/12/ibm-decided-not-to-do-notebook-g5.html -)
I clearly think that it _was_ the plan to have a notebook-ready processor sometime in 2005, but that was canned. Apple quite certainly didn't _want_ to stick with the G4 processor all this time (just look at how close the iBook came to the PowerBook for some periods after it changed from the G3 to the G4).

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Isn't the current G5 chip that Apple uses a derivative of IBM's Power5 chip that is mainly used in servers? If so, I can see why a mobile version was never released -- it was probably never intended to be a low-power, low-heat, small chip meant to be used in a small space like a portable.

has the gap in power between the powermacs and the powerbooks ever been so big? (1.67ghz g4 133mhz fsb to dual-core 2.5ghz G5 with 1.25ghz fsb)

Check out this interview of the CEO of Freescale Semiconductor. According to him, Apple was interested in switching to Intel before the G5, but didn't want to hassle with porting software. I guess back then the technology behind Rosetta wasn't complete, and now it is, which allows for this kind of switch to happen more easily.

Back