Why I bought a gamecube and not an xbox

Jadey

sosumi
I've owned a Nintedo Gamecube for 2 weeks now. I hadn't planned to buy one at all. I've owned a Playstation 2 since the release of it last year, and I figured it would play all the latest games, I didn't need a new system. I've been reading and watching everything about the gamecube and the xbox for the past year too. They looked to have impressive graphics, and even when my mac friends scoffed at the xbox because it was made by microsoft, as a gamer, I would defend it, saying the shots they were releasing really did look impressive. I still didn't plan on buying either system - until about 3 days before I did.

What happened was I watched a xbox and gamecube show on TechTV. They weren't allowed to show the actual xbox on TV.. I don't know why, just the games. The games did look great! Very nice graphics indeed. Still didn't make me want one.

Then they ran the spot on the gamecube and EVERY single game they demo'd.. I wanted. I have never wanted every game available on a release of a game console ever.

The difference was the quality of the games. The xbox games, while very pretty, had a bunch of first person shooters, plus halo, dead or alive 3... And while I do consider myself a gamer (as does my boyfriend and most of my friends) I don't like first person shooters. I find them boring. To shoot anything that moves isn't very stimulating. Some of the other types of games that are available on xbox are also available on PS2, which I have - or on PC, which I also have already.

The games for gamecube on the other hand were much more intriguing. Games that looked like they'd hold my attention for a while and offer me something new. Really the killer apps for me were on gamecube. I bought one 3 days after seeing this show.

After I made this decision I came to see other flaws of the xbox versus gamecube. The controller is too big. Although, girls aren't their target audience, 18 - 34 year old males are.. would suit most of them. The gamecube on the other hand has the best controller I've put into my hands. All my friends who've tried it agreed.

The console itself is huge. This doesn't really matter for a system in a shelf in the living room, but the gamecube has a really cool LCD add-on, build in handle and an add-on battery pack so you can take it with you. It's small enough to do just that too.

While the gamecube's hardware is more like a PC than any of Nintendo's previous systems, the xbox is almost a PC sitting on its side. I'm sure there will be an emulator out for it before any of the other consoles.

Does anyone else own an xbox or gamecube? I'd love to hear your pluses and minuses about the systems.

Here's a pic of my gaming setup now: (consoles only, macs and pcs live in a different room)

http://homepage.mac.com/guin/PhotoAlbum9.html

Back