Why I love OS X (you gotta see this!!!!!)

Soapvox

Want some of my Kool-aid?
I think today I can be called a power user!
Check out these screenshots, the first make sure to scroll all they way to the right, the second is of all the processes running, I had more apps, but had to get back to work so.... also the second is doctored so you don't see who is running the processes. I will list the apps I launched in my next post :) (BTW just for clarity I am a developer, so I am running a few betas legitimately)

link 1: http://mytwilightgarden.com/aeonflux.jpg
link 2: http://mytwilightgarden.com/processes.gif

PS Check out Thom Yorke on the right, that is actually a wonderful shot!

This is on a 400mghz Ti Powerbook with 384 megs of ram, and surprisingly enough, ran pretty decently:
  1. Netscape 6.1 Preview Release
  2. Entourage (classic)
  3. Terminal
  4. UltraDev (classic)
  5. BBedit 6.12
  6. Fireworks (classic)
  7. Calculator
  8. Stuffit Expander 6.5
  9. DropZip 6.5
  10. Transmit 1.7b1
  11. Freehand 10 (or is it X?)
  12. Word X Preview
  13. Excel (classic)
  14. Illustrator 9 (classic)
  15. Photoshop 6 (classic)
  16. iTunes 10.1
  17. Now Up to Date 4.1 beta
  18. Mow Contact 4.1 beta
  19. Explorer 5.1
  20. Fire 0.27b
  21. Audion 2.6
  22. Suitcase X beta
  23. DMG Maker 1.16
  24. X Darwin 1.3a
  25. --- Gimp
  26. --- Lynx
  27. --- Xterm
  28. --- Clock
  29. --- Windowmaker
  30. Acrobat 5
  31. Sherlock2
  32. CPU Monitor
  33. Disk Copy
  34. Print Center
  35. Clock
  36. TextEdit
  37. iMovie2
  38. DVD Player
  39. Keycaps
  40. Console
  41. Network Utility
  42. Grab
  43. Digital Color Meter
  44. Process Viewer
  45. Stickies
  46. Quicktime
  47. Preview
  48. ColorSynch Utilitie
    [/list=1]
    Lets see windows do that, that doesn't include daemons running, see the second screen shot for all

How do you get XDarwin to run on OS X. I have the instalation disk for MacGIMP from MacGIMP.com and it ceased working when I upgraded to 10.1. I read somewhere that it will still work, I just hae to type something in teh terminal but I don't know what it's supposed to be. If this is true, could you help me get GIMP running again? Also, How did you get the NeXT interface, XTerm, the paper clip in the box installed on your system? I am interested in getting some XWindows/UNIX software running on OS X.

chemistry_geek

The paper clip is the clip from WIndowMaker, a window manager that does a damn good job of simulating NeXTStep.

OK, I have 1.5g of ram and you will notice in this screenshot that my terminal shows a lowly 45m of free memory with every app that I have installed open. All the apps opened in less than 40 seconds with less than 225 pageouts during the whole launch process and continuing to work with all the apps opened produced no more pageouts!!!! OSX is the Whip OS!

Attachments

• swicoreapps.jpg
    swicoreapps.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 209
Originally posted by chemistry_geek
How do you get XDarwin to run on OS X. I have the instalation disk for MacGIMP from MacGIMP.com and it ceased working when I upgraded to 10.1. I read somewhere that it will still work, I just hae to type something in teh terminal but I don't know what it's supposed to be. If this is true, could you help me get GIMP running again? Also, How did you get the NeXT interface, XTerm, the paper clip in the box installed on your system? I am interested in getting some XWindows/UNIX software running on OS X.

chemistry_geek

If you had it running before, all you need to do is upgrade XDarwin to 1.0a3.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xonx

-JARinteractive

Originally posted by Soapvox
Ha and whats funny is that fetch is taking up 74% of your client usage :D
that is strange since I just logged in and launched them all but didnt use them. Maybe I just clicked on its window last before hiding all the apps. I sure hope Fetch is written good enough to not require 75% of two G4 500mz processors. Although, I do have a lot of gripes with Fetch so maybe not :)

The flooting app selection window on your desctop pict....what kind of app. is it and where can I get my hands on it??

Carlson

where is XDarwins .xinitrc ? or something similar to stop it from loading all the crap when it starts up (2 xterms...xclock...) and change to another windowmanager?

thanks

Back