Why iChat?

You can find the iChat/Inkwell part of the keynote here: http://video.cnet.com/cgi-bin/visea...006&ccend=595288&videoID=t050602_1500&query=*',%20'VideoNewsSearch1276',%20'height=460,width=660'

hope the link works as advertised. else: search for ichat on news.com ... (windows media player plugin for osx required.)

Yes, there's file sharing & yes, iChat looks cool from what I saw on the video, although the UI seems to take up a *lot* of screen real estate. Guess we'll see. Ah, the instant finding of buddies on a network looks cool, too, although I won't need that much, I guess, as I already know people that work at my company (we're four persons that use ICQ).

I've just installed the new version of Fire (0.30.b) - and it *seems* to work fine for now, although it still doesn't have file exchange (which I don't need, anyway).

Originally posted by ablack6596
This way AOL will have an OS to put there IM Sefvice on.
I'm not sure if this is justifiable because you don't need an AIM name any more. Your Mac.com name will work. But isn't that going to be a nightmare for the duplicates?

I found proteus the other day to be as enjoyable or more than Fire. It's not as good as Adium for straight up AIM but when I want to talk to ICQ people I use that. If I want to talk to my MSN buddies I make them call me or else they don't get to chat :)

I will boycott iChat if they make me use it as it is there with chat bubbles. I will not use it if it keeps the brushed steel borders around the windows. Look to Adium if you want to have a low real estate program. Really, Apple should have paid Adam what's-his-name-of-Adium and had him do it. Because he deserves some recognition and payment for his efforts.

fryke,

I agree. ICQ was the mother of all these Instant Messaging programs. AOL developed the AIM soon after the company bought ICQ. Microsoft, Yahoo and others than soon followed after AIM's success. While ICQ was populor, AIM actually was the app that made IM the next killer app sinece AOL already had a large installment base.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

voice,

Fire is unstable, how?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ablack6596,

Couldn't agree more.

Regards,
George Lien

Originally posted by fryke
I still don't understand how both AIM and MSN Messenger found any friends. *sigh* ... ICQ rules ever since it came to exist. I don't think I'll use AIM or MSN ever. I *might* try iChat because it's by Apple, but otherwise... And furthermore, all *my* friends are ICQ.

You know why, in AIM's case? Because it's one less thing you have to teach AOL people. It's already included. It's like pulling teeth to get the typical AOL user to do ANYTHING on the computer.

ah well... i also still like two basic instant messaging and chat applications that we haven't touched in this thread yet: E-Mail and Talk. The UN*X command 'talk' lets you chat to a 'buddy' LIVE via the command line (split window).

Attachments

• talk.jpg
    talk.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 44
What's that symbol right next to the loudspeaker symbol at the top of the screen in the iChat picture dricci found? Is it an iChat symbol?

Yes, I've read about that menu and seen screenshots of it at work. It lets you access iChat from every app you're in.

Surely looks like a baloon icon.

Actually, after seeing that you can turn off ballons, I start to like the idea of having something like iChat :)

But.. what about the videoconferencing app that was rumored some time ago? Would it be like iChat on steroids?

We need voice over IP technology!

Originally posted by fryke
ah well... i also still like two basic instant messaging and chat applications that we haven't touched in this thread yet: E-Mail and Talk. The UN*X command 'talk' lets you chat to a 'buddy' LIVE via the command line (split window).

'Talk' is one thing I don't miss. :) Having to watch sloppy typers constantly backspacing to correct mistakes and such. I much preferred the 'send' command which was very much like the IM type chat, only seeing the other person's text once they send it.

Oh boohoo brushed metal, baloons, etc. Lets just wait until we get to try it to make our judgements!

I do wish that it would support MSN because a lot of my (stupid) friends use that.

There really needs to be a standard IM protocol for people to use. We don't have systems of email where you can only send emails to certain people who use certain email programs. Why should we have all sorts of IM protocols!!!

Originally posted by googolplex
Oh boohoo brushed metal, baloons, etc. Lets just wait until we get to try it to make our judgements!

I do wish that it would support MSN because a lot of my (stupid) friends use that.

There really needs to be a standard IM protocol for people to use. We don't have systems of email where you can only send emails to certain people who use certain email programs. Why should we have all sorts of IM protocols!!!

It's all about money.:(

Originally posted by googolplex
It is all about money, as julguribye said. But isn't this the idea behind Fire? I'm not suggesting that Fire is a decent replacement (I've heard of people having problems with it, but haven't experienced them myself (though I don't use IM much (but it works fine for MSN and ICQ (when I use it (Woo hoo, multiple nested parens! (Gotta love programming in Lisp/Scheme :rolleyes: )))))) but the general idea behind Fire, being able to read just about any IM protocol...

A standard is only as good as the number of people who use it. Look at HTML, for example. There is a standard there, but a majority of the people on the web don't code for it...

But I see what you're saying and I agree with you.

"Oh boohoo brushed metal, baloons, etc. Lets just wait until we get to try it to make our judgements! "

You could NOT be any more right.... i totally agree after.....3 hours now of iChat.. i LOVE it as it is..... and as someone pointed out.. you can take off the aqua effect... TRY it before you Judge it... a book is not judged y it's cover... why should iChat be judged by it's icon??

I, for one, can't wait to try the new iChat. I'm excited on how it's integrated with mail and address book, that'll probably look really cool.

Any idea if iChat will run on 10.1.4 or is it specifically compiled for 10.2?

Chances are that it will work with 10.1.4, but I am a little curious as to why you would be trying to run it on 10.1.4 when you will have 10.2 to play with. Any specific reasons you could give?

Originally posted by Krevinek
Chances are that it will work with 10.1.4, but I am a little curious as to why you would be trying to run it on 10.1.4 when you will have 10.2 to play with. Any specific reasons you could give?

Well, it'll probably be easier to download a leaked iChat than an entire leaked Jaguar CD set. :D

Back