Why is Halo Running Real Slow!

Halo lags for me too and I have only Halo open, a 1ghz powerbook, 512mb of DDR Ram and OS 10.2.8

My firend said that I had a medeoker card. Is this trure?

GeForce4 MX:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 32 MB
Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0179
Revision ID: 0x00a5
ROM Revision: 2030

Display:

Type: display
Display Type: LCD
VRAM (In Use): 32 MB
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Depth: 32-bit Color
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

NVDA,Display-B:

Probably something lackluster in the video card area. Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to get a better card for a Powerbook, at least on par with a G5 with a Radeon 9800.

I remember the guy at the Apple store was like "Thats so abnormal." and talked about how he had Halo on a G3 processor running in a "playable" state. That a 1ghz G4 would be great....anyone got Quake 3 Gold?

I have a 1 ghz iMac with 512 mb ram, and nvidia geforce 4 mx with 64 mb and I've only experienced lag once, on the 8th level where theres those two bridges, and the covenants on one and the flood on the other and theyre both shooting and everything.And I don't know why it lagged there, I've been in more intense situations. Anyway, I heard panther is definately recommended, and that it can be anywhere from 25 to 50% faster on panther, depending on your configuration. So I'd get panther. It's a lot better then jaguar.

I have a 1GHz TiBook and 512 megs of ram. I also have a decent video card (ati 9000 64mb) and halo runs very poorly. I think it is just a bad port. Max payne, which i think has better graphics, runs great on my computer.

cellfish said:
I'll tell you why Halo is running slow... cause you're using a Mac!

Yeah, but i wouldn't be gloating with the set you've got :rolleyes:

I have a machine i built a year ago that's real good for games, although i use it more so for video editing

AMD Athlon XP 2800+
1024 mb pc3200 ram
ati all in wonder 9700 pro
two raided 60 gb hd's

::ha::

Wouldn't gloat with an Athlon 2200+? Why would I want to gloat? This thing still performs way more than beautifully for everything I do. In fact, it'll probably last me a couple of additional years.

I got Halo running perfectly. Just turn down your details a bit and Vertex Shading off. Sure the ground doesnt really have much detail now, but who cares when you get 0% lag! Wheee!

drunkmac said:
I got Halo running perfectly. Just turn down your details a bit and Vertex Shading off. Sure the ground doesnt really have much detail now, but who cares when you get 0% lag! Wheee!

Indeed. Initially, I had all the graphics setting on high and it was very sluggish. I then set the monitor to 1024x876, turn down most of the detail and turn off the dynamic lighting etc.

The game now runs fine :)

Machine spec below...

Oh, you might want to appliy the updater as well. This might speed up the game...

Get an XBox if you want to play Halo.

Halo's performance sucks on most machines because it makes use of vertex (sometime pixel) shaders, a feature found on the GeForce4 (non MX) and up. If these aren't present, the vertex shaders are emulated and thus you get very slow performance.

Try looking at the options and turning off stuff like dynamic lighting, pixel/vertex shaders, shadows. That should speed things up.

Or just buy an XBox. They're pretty cheap these days, and run Halo beautifully.

Gave up on non-console games a long time ago, you buy a new machine and it cannot play this game or that game within a relatively short period of time. It makes more sense to buy a relatively cheap console every 2 or 3 years. I currently own a playstation 2 with a dozen or so good games, I'll get a playstation 3 within 6-8 months of it's release when the price comes down. Broadband is relatively rare in Ireland (this is changing) so that's not a concern right now. When I get broadband I'll just connect the console. Buying a console means that hardware requirements are irrelevant!

Cant belive anyone thinks a video card under a radion 9600 is a "Decent" video card. The old Ti is alright and the 5200fx is kinda pants, but on these cards you should have no trouble running it. maby a bit crappy on the 5200 mind. Anything like a 9000 64mb sdram will just be PANTS running halo if you are looking for any good sence of gameplay, so i dont just meen "I have a 9000 and it runs" cause its pants on any of these obslete gfx cards.
Just another reason for apple to start shipping good gfx cards for once.

pippin i'm assuming that comment on the 9000 is directed towards me. I really don't mind though, i didn't buy my mac to play games, i'm not a giant computer game nerd as you seem to be. I was only commenting on the gameplay on my powerbook because i was trying it out on the same model at the Apple store. i don't know why you are investing so much money in a mac gaming machine when there's very few good games for mac. And what's with 'pants'? makes you sound like you're 12 :p

Back