Why is iDisk so slow?

jcart12

Registered
Yes,
I have upgraded to Jaguar and iDisk still sucks at upload time. Strangely iPhoto doesn't. I can publics 2mb of photos in a couple of minutes with my broad-band access. Trying to do the same thing with Finder takes 40 minutes. In addition it takes at least 3 or 4 attemptps to complete and upload because of file errors!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

I was (and still) slightly an advocate of .mac. That is to say I didn't mind paying, because for hosting a web-site it is a lot less expensive than the alternatives (plus I can have an email address like jcart instead of jcrt12843uaa_2332!!!!). However I though that iDisk performance would get better not worse.

Trying to maintain a web-site when it takes 30 minutes to upload a few files is impossible. Also has anyone noticed the strange caching that goes on?

If I change a page, even if I clear out the browser cache and force-reload the old page remains for a few hours. Very strange, must be be some form of caching on Apple's side.

Another question? I created several sites using homepage, which I then one wanted to maintain manually by using iDisk. However the finder refuses to copy the file insisting that I have insufficient access privileges. What's up? Privileges cannot be changed and I have even tried copying at the UNIX level, chmoding and sudo'ing. Nothing, absolutely nothing works. Any ideas?

Cheers
john.

The reason is that Apple has trained the finder to lie to us. In Jaguar when you drop, lets say, a 10mb file in your iDisk the transfer progress window pops up and the blue bar zooms across and it says that it has uploaded it and is "finishing". What it's really doing is uploading it at the same old idisk speed. It does most of the uploading when it says it's finishing. So the finishing part takes forever.

I agree iDisk is slow, but I cannot say it is so slow. The main problem is the time it needs to load on the finder.

I didn't experience the cache delay problem, but sometimes HomePage messes up with the Menu Page. I rework is in HTML and it's more or less ok.

Back