why is there a USB port and a PS2?

The new ps hand held will use usb to communicate to the ps2. Allowing it to be used as a controller just the the gba can be used as a controller for the game cube. It has been rumored that you may be able to use the ps2 to copy your ps1 game onto the ps handheld through the usb port.

There is also some sort if digital camera for the ps2. I believe that also uses usb.

um... my question for you is what the point is for using it as a controller...
there were only 2 games for the game cube that really used the whole GBA to GC thing (LOZ:WW and FF: crystal chronicles ) and it was more of an annoyance that anything else because fro FF:CC you HAD to have a GBA in order to play it and for LOZ, it was used for mini games and that creepy balloon fairy elf dude.

and if anything i would think that it would be a wireless connection (i.e. putting in an 802.11 device in the expansion bay or a bluetooth device [don't remember which it will have or if it will have both]) it would seem rather foolish for sony to have to wire you PSP to you PS2 when they are trying to sell it as a wireless device.

not to mention the only successful use for GBA to GC was for multiplayer real time RPGs so that you didn't have to bug the other players with menus. Not to mention that the PS2 isn't the strongest 2 player split screen multiplayer console (not even that strong in online multi [xBox holds that title] )

so i really don't see the PSP as being a wired down device with USB.

and as for copying your PS1 games on to the PSP's new media... it is posable but not very likely to happen as you would have to load 400MB - 700 MB per disc which would be quite time consuming.

so i am sorry to say that i don't believe what you are saying. give me some hard facts form sony and then i will believe.

JetwingX said:
there were only 2 games for the game cube that really used the whole GBA to GC thing (LOZ:WW and FF: crystal chronicles ) and it was more of an annoyance that anything else because fro FF:CC you HAD to have a GBA in order to play it and for LOZ, it was used for mini games and that creepy balloon fairy elf dude.

umm, Animal Crossing? Pac-Man vs? Mr Driller?

just off the top of my head.

Also, I'm pretty sure one of the Sonic games did, I remember that Miyamoto was working with EA to have GBA link-ups in their games.

Mini screen have been considered a major improvement for two+ player sport games. Where you might want to keep your play secret. It also opens the door to virtual card games; magic the gathering, strip poker, uno. It could also be used as a quick way to copy mp3 to the ps hand held. Or use a cd, the ps2 internet capability to set up an itunes like serves for the ps2 handheld. Or store your ps2 save on your hand held, to bring over to your friends house.

Blue tooth or airport are two other way the ps hand held could sink with the ps2. Just who going to want to drain their ps handheld batteries when their playing at home? Wouldn't they rather have it pluged in and charging? Plus the ps2 dose not have blue tooth built-in, so they'd have to use the ps2 usb ports for blue tooth dangles. Witch would be expensive. Plus blue tooth isn't any faster then usb, and it's posible to have wireless inferences. As for airport, expect player to set up a home network with a wireless base station may be too much to ask, consoles have always been about simplicity. Then their would be the add expense of purchasing the wireless base station.

Unforhcently I do not have the time to google around for all the ps2 handheld faqs. I think I herd about the ps hand held controller capablity from g4tv. Perhaps they have some thing about it on their web site.

btw there is also a a usb super rumble pack for the ps2, but it only works with one game.

Near the release of the PS2 it had 3 ports in the little blue section on the front: 2 USB ports, and 1 4-pin Firewire/iLink port. They removed it with the 50001 series.

Oh, and nobody seems to have mentioned EyeToy. This uses the USB port.

Personally, I use the USB port on my PS2 for EyeToy and for connecting a keyboard to use for chatting on online games (SSX 3 and Amplitude).

The new PS 2's (that include the network adapter) removed the firewire port and include Quad fury 2, a game that has iLink multi player option. Makes sense, uh?

PS2 machines do have a FireWire port. Right next to the USB ports. It's not a standard 6-pin FireWire port -- it's an iLink port (Sony's name for FireWire) and it's a mini-FireWire port, just like most digital camcorders have.

Pics upon request, I've got one sitting here.

I bought a new PS2 yesterday and I hate to say that but.... it does not have an iLink or else I am blind....

It seems as though different revisions of the PS2 have different ports. Early PS2s, like mine, have an iLink (4-pin firewire) port and 2 USB ports, while later PS2s only have the USB ports.

I'm not sure what ports the redesigned ultra-slim PS2s have.

the PS2 70000 doesn't have HDD support or iLink support although i do think it has USB support.

and it is so friggin' small @,@

Back