why macs are better

karavite said:
Hi Breber. Thanks for bringing this up! There is another principle that is my favorite (from Jakob Nielsen's heuristics), "Recognition rather than recall" . I think a good example of this is - quick, tell me where you go for the majority of your Mac settings in OS X?

System Preferences! It is right there in the Dock.

Now quick, tell me the 29 places in Windows you can go to do similar things available in System Preferences? :)

HAHA, OMG you guys are so uninformed on Windows - did you honestly think that Windows cannot do 'anything' the Mac could. Cmon you guys if music, movies and internet is the only stance you can take when it comes to claiming how superior MacOS is to run-of-the-mill Dells and Gateways then i dont know if you should be saying anything then.

Note: Just my opinion.

His point was that in Windows, all the options are kinda spread out. (He wasn't talking about music, movies, or the internet; read the post.) Yes, there is the Control Panel, but a lot of the options are in very obscure places. The System Preferences in the Mac OS does a very similar thing, but centralizes the options a bit more. By the way, most of us use Windows daily, at work, or other computers in our homes, etc. Almost all of us have experience with the Windows OS that roughly equals our experience with the Mac OS. (Yes, I know that's a huge generalization, but it seems to be roughly true.)

Dude, you can do music and movies on any platform you want. Linux? Sure go ahead, but it isn't going to be as pleasant as if you were on another system.

Have you owned a Mac? or even used a Mac for say a week or more? I used to be hard core PC, but I can do what I need to do on my Mac but more efficiently because the operating system is better thought out and has features that WinXP doesn't have.

Here, why don't you read a PC users opinion of using a Mac. I expect you know about www.anandtech.com - hardware reviews etc. Anand started doing Mac reviews and articles a little while ago. I think this is a good read if you want to hear an opinion of the Mac experience from someone other than a Mac user.

edit: suppose I could add the link to the article.
http://anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2232

HateEternal said:
Dude, you can do music and movies on any platform you want. Linux? Sure go ahead, but it isn't going to be as pleasant as if you were on another system.

Have you owned a Mac? or even used a Mac for say a week or more? I used to be hard core PC, but I can do what I need to do on my Mac but more efficiently because the operating system is better thought out and has features that WinXP doesn't have.

Here, why don't you read a PC users opinion of using a Mac. I expect you know about www.anandtech.com - hardware reviews etc. Anand started doing Mac reviews and articles a little while ago. I think this is a good read if you want to hear an opinion of the Mac experience from someone other than a Mac user.

I second your recommendation. This is a great PC enthusiast resource that is actually informative from well-informed and well-rounded PC users...not someone who will just regurgitate what some other uninformed Windows user told him or her. ;)

mbveau said:
His point was that in Windows, all the options are kinda spread out.
They're in two places... Control Panel or Admin Tools.

On the Mac, they're in two places... System Preferences or Utilities - there's a lot of stuff I need/use there as well.

Just because it's different, yet similar, doesn't make it bad. And I'm seriously failing to see how things are spread out.

They're not. For either OS, really.

voice- said:
Yes, Macs have great user friendlyness, but you do give up a good deal of things to get it. OS X slows you down, much thanks to the bloating of the GUI which cannot be changed

From OS9x to OSX the mac got slower, however with each progressive upgrade that followed, the operating system got faster, and faster still again is Tiger - you can feel the difference without even thinking about it.
Fact is: no other OS has ever jumped in such leaps and bounds in such a short period of time like OSX has, and it is still a very young operating system with a future that will just keep getting faster and brighter.

OSX is definately not a system that slows you down at all. If you are the Voice, at least speak with some experience! :rolleyes:

it's ambitious, in terms of gui and eyecandy. this visual appeal of osX is incredible - very slick, very forward thinking use of a *graphic* interface - it now uses the *Graphics* processing unit (gpu) fully for rendering the *G*ui. however, i feel that the actual concept of desktop/icon/folder/file tree/application is something that isn't being challenged on the mac front.

it is, after all a 20 year old paradigm. windows, for all their faults, are trying to rethink this concept, perhaps not totally successfully, but the thought process of 'challenge' is there. it's been evident since win95 - attempting to shift the focus from file-based, to task based workflow.

not a: i want to open a *.ai file in illustrator to view a vector,
but b: i want to view my flyer design: find the flyer and view it. not file and application, but 'flyer' and viewer. pc users who are well informed, don't like the mac ui as there is no obvious thing to do first - there's nothing that says "click me to begin your workflow"

the flipside of this of course, is that on MacOS, there's nothing like that to distract you - no over-compensating OS trying to do stuff for you, just a system that lets you run your pro-apps in a powerful, stable environment.

i have no idea what my point is anymore. but i don't want to delete it cos i've just spent 10minutes of my life writing it....

Back