Why Not 3 Bays?!?!?!??!?!

spitty27

Apple Avid
Since i dont have one, im not sure i got all the details down correctly so please inform me if im wrong. With a superdrive, when you want to copy a cd you insert the original, hit burn, eject and put a blank cd in (it will put the whole cd into an image onto your hd??? what if you dont have at least 700MB on your computer...you cant burn?) and then it will copy to the blank cd? i know its easy to burn files ONTO a blank cd, but why not make 3 bays? a dvd rom, a dvd r, and a zip (one to read dvds, one to burn dvds and everything else, and a zip drive.)

also, the g4 has a little plastic rectangle covering the second bay, thats the zip drive right? (my bro has b&w g3 and it came with a replacement rectangle if he ever chooses to put a zip drive internally) is that the same with the g4? or does it plop down like the cd drive in the new g4?

BTW: macosx.com|munity doesnt show how many posts each user has anymore???

Originally posted by spitty27
Since i dont have one, im not sure i got all the details down correctly so please inform me if im wrong. With a superdrive, when you want to copy a cd you insert the original, hit burn, eject and put a blank cd in (it will put the whole cd into an image onto your hd??? what if you dont have at least 700MB on your computer...you cant burn?) and then it will copy to the blank cd? i know its easy to burn files ONTO a blank cd, but why not make 3 bays? a dvd rom, a dvd r, and a zip (one to read dvds, one to burn dvds and everything else, and a zip drive.)

Think about how much that would cost. That is why.

also, the g4 has a little plastic rectangle covering the second bay, thats the zip drive right? (my bro has b&w g3 and it came with a replacement rectangle if he ever chooses to put a zip drive internally) is that the same with the g4? or does it plop down like the cd drive in the new g4?

I think the new g4s don't have a zip drive. I may be wrong... I'm getting this info off the top of my head.

BTW: macosx.com|munity doesnt show how many posts each user has anymore???

Correct. :)

The entire line of G4 cases only has a 3.5" bay under the current full sizd bay. This is large enough for a hard drive or a zip drive. It can be modified to fit a second optical drive underneath, however this requires a bit of dremel work. You will need to physicall cut the case, this involves slicing metal and voiding whatever warranty you may be under. Why Apple chose to do this is beyond me. The alternatives include getting another case for you computer, hihc will mostlikely require modding of its own and won't be anywhere near as nice as the current G4 case. Or you could always go spend 50$ and get an external firewaire enclosure.

With my waranty up at this point i'm tempted to try installing a slot loading DVD drive form pioneer in that second bay. Others have reported success with this and toshiba among other brands. Slot loading drives make the front bezel a lot easier to deal with too as you simply need to cut a slot into it for the disc.

For more information simply check out the modding boad on macnn.com or xlr8yourmac.com.

You could just buy the Apple part for the QuickSilver CD/DVD drive bezel door, and put another DVD drive in the second bay.

I bought my QuickSilver stripped (CTO'd from Apple), with just the upgrade on the Superdrive and a GeForce3 card. I bought my Zip250 internal drive from a vendor for $40, and got the bezel from an Apple dealer here in Atlanta for $24. So putting in the Zip drive was about $64, more than half what Apple wanted to put one in.

Call and Apple dealer, ask them how much for a QuickSilver CD-Drive bezel door, and your in business...

i'm pretty sure a full height cd-rom drive wont fit in the empty bay in that tower... i think a 3.25 device (i.e. floppy, zip) are your only options for that bezel opening.

One of the reasons for Apple to put a space only for a zip drive is commercial only (mainly) dont forget Schools and the graphic industry is still one of the largest market share for Apple, and those two are still using (like it or not)
a lot of ZIP 100/250...

Hey! I am not saying this is absolute, but I am quite certain that its a big part of the reason why Apple did the G4 that way.

-Sighter

Back