Why such a hate for the iPod?

Convert

Tech
Hey,

Today I told some of my friends I was saving up for an iPod Photo.

They were shocked, and disgusted heh. When they asked why I told them that my Creative Zen was not very fun to use at the moment (copying was a pain in the ass, as the Zen doesn't work on Macintosh) and to be honest I really like how the iPod works.

But it seemed that almost everyone hated the iPod. I heard some hilarious attempts to put me off, such as the iPod "Being programmed to stop working after 1 year", "The colour screen will go black and white after a few months", "The wheel breaks off soon", "The headphone jack only works some of the time".

The best comment I heard was that the quality of the iPod battery gets smaller, slowly, over time. Anyone knows ALL lithium based batteries get smaller in charge after a while.

Also, they complained about not being able to get the battery out.

WHY? Why would this matter? My zen lets me take the battery out easily, I just press a button. But I have no actual need for it, other than when the Zen freezes, I can reset it. But the iPod has a reset button combo. My friend's phillips 2GB player froze, he couldn't do ANYTHING other than let the battery die.

But to be honest, the majority of hard drive based players don't allow you to get the battery out.

I have not heard one single legit reason on why the iPod sucks (which it does not).

Ridiculous?

Everyone doesn't hate it. It has the largest market share of players. Something like 70%.

Tell your friends to get a dog :)

People only love the underdog as long as it stays in its place! ;)

Also, not everyone can afford an iPod photo - these people have to justify to themselves (and others) why they wouldn't want it "even if they could" because, quite simply, it makes them feel better!

;) ;)

That's the price for being No1.

Ask Microsoft.
Ask Michael Schumacher.
Ask USA.
Ask Jeff Gordon.
Ask any number one.

it seem to me the number one spot is highly subjective :)

your friends probably have windows-pc's. ask them to back up the stuff they say about the ipod and start a friendly (but informative) email-war where you mail them positive press and facts about the ipod and they mail you bad press. you will win.

Mo, your friends are just seething with jealousy and resentment because you can afford to consider purchasing such a fine product for yourself. Don't let them push your buttons and put you on the defensive; just get the damn player and let them see how great it is and how happy you are with it. Living well is the best revenge.

you know my name LOL

Yeah, it hasn't put me off one bit. The comments were funny. I know the ipod is the best selling out there, but around here, most people hate it. Probably because they can't have it.

Can't wait for the ipod.

You told us your name and vista (sunny southern Spain)

They're just jealous, but one day will see the light.

The other day I was walking in a lower middle class area in Cairo and saw three different people with white earbuds. They all wanted to stop me and talk. I guess I'll look for some garden-variety black earphones. ;)

Convert said:
But it seemed that almost everyone hated the iPod. I heard some hilarious attempts to put me off, such as the iPod "Being programmed to stop working after 1 year", "The colour screen will go black and white after a few months", "The wheel breaks off soon", "The headphone jack only works some of the time".
I've had the reverse experience. Just recently dropped into my old workplace and it seems that everyone in the office loves the iPod and has immediate plans to get one.

Convert said:
Also, they complained about not being able to get the battery out.
I actually agree with this one. It's just nice to be able to carry around a couple of spare charged batteries (for long trips, in case you forget to charge your iPod, etc) without having to spend the exta money and muck around with 3rd party AA add on battery packs. Plus it would mean that you wouldn't have to send the iPod in to get the battery replaced when it eventually dies.

Kap

Whenever someone has a go at me for having an iPod, I just turn my Alpine Stereo, with iPod Adaptor up louder.

Now Clarion and Pioneer are releasing Changer Adaptors for their Car Stereos. You can't say the same for a Zen or a Phillips or even an iRiver.

As a Full-Time Regional Courier, having to drive long distances with poor Radio Reception, my iPod is Indispensable.

1] I have a friend who has huge ipod envy. He eventually bought a mid-grade flash-based player, that was almost $200. For a little more he could've had a HD-based ipod - friend was pc user back in the day before the shuffle.
2] Another friend who's mom uses imovie to create short demo movies for her clients. He bought an ipod but uses XP everyday at work. His job involves figuring out why crappy software won't do what he tells it to (a level designer with limited computer background--more of an artist). This guy needs a mac, but HAtes them. He bought an ipod to be cool.
3] Another person who wanted to be cool, but waited until this Xmas to get an ipod. The 10 gig ipod I paid $500 for is now a 40gig smaller ipod photo. -- PC user who likes to try new things
4] Me, got my ipod almost 3 years ago when the 10 gig ipods were just coming out. Of course I had a job then too so I could convince myself that I could afford the $500. Now I use XP 98% of the time, but still plug the ipod in to my stereo, bring it to class, work, and plug it into my car where I installed a custom Aux wiring unit ($25 total) and fed it through the console to the glove compartment.

"Being programmed to stop working after 1 year", "The colour screen will go black and white after a few months", "The wheel breaks off soon", "The headphone jack only works some of the time". --doesn't apply to Apple products. The reason you pay a little more is for the quality and features!

The only thing I don't like about my ipod is that I have to scroll through so many songs. At only 10 gigs, this means that others are spending even more time shuffling through songs. Should I organize better? Get more space? These are the questions you should be asking, my friend.

As for me, the next purchase will be a shuffle. I pretty much only listen to one band these days, which is far outweighed by the gig ipod shuffle, let alone the 10 gigs of music i'm not listening to. I know all of the songs and want to use it when I work out. It doesn't have a stop watch, but I do...who doesn't have a friggin stop watch. It doesn't have memory that can change out, but the Rio.xxx only has a limited amount of space, can be switched if you pay more money to buy a card.

1) buy ipod
1a) ridicule friends
2) buy different style ipod, keep the old ipod hooked to the car stereo, strap the shuffle or mini to your arm
2a) ridicule friends
3) ridicule friends

Or even better than ridiculing friends: Turn up the volume and ignore them.

^LOL

One thing that bugs me, is that I will be passing a whole line of iPods.

I mean, as of now, I have enough money saved up to buy an iPod mini. Soon I will have enough to buy an iPod 20GB, then a U2 iPod, then a 40GB iPod... I could just purchase one of them-it'd mean getting it sooner. But it wouldn't be as good as the photo. Ah well lol. I'll wait.

Convert said:
^LOL

One thing that bugs me, is that I will be passing a whole line of iPods.

I mean, as of now, I have enough money saved up to buy an iPod mini. Soon I will have enough to buy an iPod 20GB, then a U2 iPod, then a 40GB iPod... I could just purchase one of them-it'd mean getting it sooner. But it wouldn't be as good as the photo. Ah well lol. I'll wait.
I wouldn't wait. I'd get the iPod mini. In my opinion it's best of the iPod line - it's higher capacity brothers are too heavy.

What I really want is an 8 GB iPod mini, with the iPod photo's screen and functionality (+ the ability to actually download pictures directly from cameras and play video) and the U2 iPod's color scheme.

Sigh.

Kap

Back