Why the periodic delays?

Satcomer

In Geostationary Orbit
Lately I have been seeing from my ISP DND or OpenDNS this web site not responding many times. It happens almost every early morning and now random through the days(EST). Is the bandwidth funds dragging the site down or something?

I can't say I've noticed any problems like you're having. I'm using my own DNS server but certainly OpenDNS shouldn't be going down or slow.

Is it only dns being slow?
I mean, does pinging dns and ip get the same delay, being more delay at that hour in average than at other hours?

The hours are usually around 5 AM EST and last for about 2 to 3 minutes. It is like when the server runs its cron cleaning scripts or something. Plus sometimes now it happens during the day time. I have even saw this from a client site too, on Windows running IE.

Yes during the time 2 to 3 minute outage times you can still ping and trace route to the server via DNS. Even trying just the IP (as reported by tracing) but the web site still does not reply.

We do run morning backups, it might cause a 2-3 minute slowness, but this is around 3am CST. My question is that do you notice any specific times in the day and what is happening, is it giving any DB errors or just hanging and not loading?

It's not loading at all. I have always seen this in the early mornings are just wrote it off. What concerns me is that sometimes during the day (in the mid afternoon on the East Coast) . I haven't seen a pattern yet but it does happen time to time.

Well it happened again today starting at 4:00 A.M. EST. However this time i was getting to the main page but clicking on any thread would get a database error message. This problem was still going by the time i left for work (an hour later).

The 3am (GMT -6) Backup configuration is changing. Our DB has grown in size and the old method just isn't cutting it. I am in the process of changing things right now and hopefully the 3am issue will be a thing of the past, and if you notice other delays at all, just mark down the time and how long it lasted (if you stayed around to see) and post a reply here.

Thanks.

Back