Why won't my shooters work? What is default.cfg?

orbj

Registered
This is really making me want to throw my powerbook out the window right now. All the shooters I try to play cannot load because they "couldn't load default.cfg".

This includes:

+Halo (i suspect)
+Medal of honor spearhead
+Jedi Knight Academy
+Enemy territory

I am so pissed at my computer right now its driving me insane. Please help!
Also, if you would be so kind as to do a spotlight search for "default.cfg" and tell me if and where it exists and send it to me that would be AMAZING.

Thanks so much,
Jeremy

This rings a bell--it is something like the Quake II graphics engine config file. It seems you might have a corrupt file. Try clearing any files named default.cfg, or make sure the permissions on your game folders allow you write access.

orbj said:
This is really making me want to throw my powerbook out the window right now. All the shooters I try to play cannot load because they "couldn't load default.cfg".

This includes:

+Halo (i suspect)
+Medal of honor spearhead
+Jedi Knight Academy
+Enemy territory

I am so pissed at my computer right now its driving me insane. Please help!
Also, if you would be so kind as to do a spotlight search for "default.cfg" and tell me if and where it exists and send it to me that would be AMAZING.

Thanks so much,
Jeremy

there are no files named default.cfg on my system.

also, what do you mean by making sure the permissions allow me write access? i know how to do this, but i'm not sure i'm doing it right.

thanks for the help!

orbj said:
there are no files named default.cfg on my system.

also, what do you mean by making sure the permissions allow me write access? i know how to do this, but i'm not sure i'm doing it right.

thanks for the help!

Make sure you have write access to the actual folders that contain the games themselves.

Write permissions are good for games that use their own folders to write data. Are these games on a separate drive or partition? Then Get Info on the partition and set "Ignore Permissions on This Volume." Are they on your startup disk? Then select the folder containing your games and Get Info. Under Privileges, set so "Others" can "Read & Write." Then "Apply to Enclosed Items."

Better to be pissed at the software than the computer. The computer must be a pretty respectable machine if it can play Halo at a reasonable frame rate.

There are no files called default.cfg on my system either, and Halo plays fine.
You've tried re-installing the games?

i have tried reinstalling them several times. I changed the permissions on "others" to read and write, but that didn't help, and since it leaves my system vulnerable I changed it back. I still have the same problem.

thanks,
Jeremy

Back