why would someone want such an old mac?

PowermacG4_450

OS X Jaguar
I have to ask. Why would someone want such an old, slow, outdated mac? (why is this forum even here?).

Dont get me wrong. I love the mac more than anyone. And it's history is important to remember...

But its pretty useless to have such a slow old mac....

I always tell people that have older macs to ditch then for at "least" a 333mhz imac or better.... if they can afford it. Heck, buy one on ebay for around $400,. mabe less. for a mere $400, it walks circles around these older outdated models.

By keeping/using these older macs, the user is truly missing out on what todays mac can really do!

For me, USB and firewire is a MUST. Ethernet too! I could NOT have a system thats so old that this isnt available.

:)

The only reason I have one is remembering the old days... that's why I have it setting next to my first 286 intel box.

They collect dust most of the time but it's fun to break out some old versions of programs and games that don't run on any computer that I run most of the time.

Originally posted by PowermacG4_450
I have to ask. Why would someone want such an old, slow, outdated mac? (why is this forum even here?).

Why would someone drive around a '57 Chevy when you can drive a new car with better gas-mileage? Why would someone want to play on their 8-bit Nintendo when you can play a Nintendo Game Cube with better graphics? Why would someone watch Casablanca when there are movies in color? Same reason.

I think I see your point. ;)

why would you date rosanne,, when shania twain is asking you out?

LMAO.

Seriously, a friend of mine has a SE30 that dont work. I'd love to play around and see if I could fix it, but..... he works for the federal govt, and it isnt his. He's the IT person there, and was borrowing it. Govt property. :(

Whats worse? He tells me that he needs to take it back to work so they can throw it away! Yep.

They wont let someone buy it for $50 or whatever, they will toss it. What a waste.

the SE30 was the first mac I tried back in 1990. Sentimental value to me.

Wasnt that a $4,000 mac back when it was new???

According to MacWorld Mac Secrets by David Pogue and Joe Schorr, the Mac SE/30 originally sold for.... $4,900. It's codename was Green Jade.

My Apple IIgs is far from old and decrepid! I've put so much excessive stuff in that thing, it's not even funny.

•5 MB RAM
•170 MB Hard Drive
•4 Floppy Drives
•Composite Video Capture Card (Seriously)

This sucker can even run Wolfenstein 3D, albeit a little sluggishly. Does anyone have a IIgs accelerator card to sell? ;-)

No, I don't, but I'll tell you what I DO have.... I found an old IIgs for myself... CPU, adb keyboard, mouse, big floppy and small floppy drives... and this thing appears to be armed with a modem inside, too.... however, that's all I have.... I have nothing to run on it, and there's no hard disk.... so I realy have no idea what to do with it...

Originally posted by adambyte
Why would someone drive around a '57 Chevy when you can drive a new car with better gas-mileage? Why would someone want to play on their 8-bit Nintendo when you can play a Nintendo Game Cube with better graphics? Why would someone watch Casablanca when there are movies in color? Same reason.

Hell yeah! You got my attention with the '57 Chevy (hell, any car that old up until the 70s on a few cars) - but lost me on all others! lol :D

But... that goes so way way off topic that it doesn't belong on this forum, so I'll shut up now! heh :)

The Apple II had some great games. Space Quest,Kings Quest, Police Quest, among others. The Applie II had the games I grew up on, so I like reliving the memories.

Originally posted by PowermacG4_450

By keeping/using these older macs, the user is truly missing out on what todays mac can really do!

For me, USB and firewire is a MUST. Ethernet too! I could NOT have a system thats so old that this isnt available.

:)

Who ain't a geek?! Old hardware is beautiful, man. Clearly you're not going to use yr Mac II for yr latest huge audio project, but that ain't the point! We shall remember them, those that get chucked so carelessly in the rubbish heap by people who want the best, latest thang. *Sigh*
This guy has the right idea:
http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,56247,00.html
Lovely :)

Just to be sure that we can be happy with today with Powerbooks G4, iBooks, MacOSX, nice GUI, MBs of RAM and GBs of Disk!
When you get suck with what you get, go and play around with your old stuff for an hour, and after go back to your real, updated, and new machine.
Man, you will be really happy for that!!! :D

Back