why

I believe every hard drive has an unformatted size, and a formatted size. Much like a 2 MB floppy is really 1.4 MB, your 80 GB drive is probably 74 GB formatted.

And it changes a little bit depending on how you format. The thing that makes me mad is in OS 9 when I burn a CD in Toast, I get 700 mb or 699.something but when I do the OS X burn I can only get 696. I can't find anywhere to change this either.

Some filesystems are worse than others. Unix has a standard wastage of 10%, but this is adjustable. Allowing more than 10% for FS tasks makes the defragmenting routines built into Unix run faster, but means you lose a little disk space.
Mac OS X's HPFS is marginally less than 10% used for filesystem tasks, this seems to run the fastest on Mac hardware, but you should allow for this when you buy a drive according to size, around 8-9% will be lost to the file-system.

Apple System Profiler:
hd.gif

How should I interpret this screenshot then?

also eric, keep in mind it will be a 75gb hd after you are done formatting

this is from one of my posts from when you were asking about buying this drive. I forwarned you this was what was going to happen and now you act all surprised and cheated.

I realize i am nowhere near as smart as anybody else on this site. I don't have a degree in CS. I only use my mac.

I guess the reason this bothers me is that you also asked my opinion about the umax scanner you bought and i told you it only worked in classic. a short while later you were whining about it not having osx support. do you have neurological damage or do you just think i make stuff up?:confused:

i'm sorry everybody if you feel i am harsh, but it really gets on my nerves when we all offer our help and people only hear what they want to hear.:rolleyes:

You did tell me about the hard drive but i didnt think it would be 6 gigs. The scanner because since omnipage pro came out i thoguth they also made a scanning software for scanners on osx. The scanner insident was kind of long ago. I loove the help this web site gives me. just asking other ppls opinion calm down.

Ed: He probably heard you were wrong 99% of the time. :)

Vanguard

PS For anybody wondering, this is a running joke between Ed and I.

I wish companies would sell monitors naming them after the actual resolution you can get instead of lying about the size of the viewable image by measuring the thing internally. I wish they wouldn't call processors something like XP 1800+ when they're running at 1.5 GHz. I wish Apple would never have said the iMac has 5 USB ports. And I wish nobody would ever lie. You think you lost 6 GB? Bring the baby back, then.

I guess car makers will define a new kinda mile or kilometre and call it the 'car-based relative mile', so they can claim better results...

Delete 6 GB (whatever 'kind' of GB) of quicktime movies you don't need anymore and you're set.

:p :p

you guys know Rodney Dangerfield is my older brother don't you?:D

neither one of us ever gets any respect.:eek: :p

points of fact - the site rules do state that vanguard is in charge of pointing out that i am wrong 99% of the time. I am left to prove the other 1% on my own. Occasionally RacerX helps me with that.

second - testuser is slowly but surely learning the entire DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual). There are several states in which he will be able to set up practice as a general therapist after this.

the likelyhood that i will find uncritical followers on this site is approximately a googelplex to one.

making scott laugh is reward enough.

I do love this site and the people here. It is a unique place with unique people. I would miss it if it were to suddenly disappear. It is probably sad how much i enjoy the comraderie here. I should probably get friends who live closer to me. But people here keep my mind working and learning so i am not really motivated to do that.

eric - sorry to pick on you personally but this one just really pushed my buttons. 74 or 75 - what's the difference with that many gigs?

now when you post about what troubles you are having with that 80gb hd and how long it takes to search and repair and....then i am just going to fill your thread with laughing smilies:D

maybe i've just been listening to too much Alice Cooper -
"no more mister nice guy, no more mister cleeean,
no more mister nice guy, he's sick - he's obsceeeene":p

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
:p :p

you guys know Rodney Dangerfield is my older brother don't you?:D

I always envisioned you being related to NBA Star Latrell Sprewell. I know you're name isn't pronounced like that, and you're a white guy, but it's fun to imagine.:D

:p dlookus, that's funny. you know Spree was playing with the local Warriors when the choking incident occurred. and for a long time afterwards manypeople whosaw my name written would pronounce it Sprewell.

Personally I like him. I also feel a certain affinity for him as well. and he never gets any respect either:p

oh, and i completely agree with Fryke. (he slipped that post in while i was composing my last one;) )

I've wondered about that one, too. I used to pronounce it in german in my mind...something you don't wanna hear spoken out loud ;)

Back