Why'd that list of files open in that order?

Joel Epstein

Registered
This is really not a big deal, but has me totally perplexed...

Let's say I select a group of files in the Finder and then drag them to an application's icon (e.g., opening them all in Word, Photoshop, etc., or processing them through a droplet created in ImageReady, viewing them in Preview, dragging them to Entourage as attachments, etc., etc.)

Sure enough, the action processes like it is supposed to. No problem.

But what has me baffled is the order in which the files are opened, processed, etc. It seems totally random - not by name, date modified, date created, etc. Is there any method to this madness, and is there a way to control it.

Thanks.

JE

I always thought it was the order in which you actually select them. Call me crazy. Try it yourself

same w/ dragging a group of files into toast, mp3s that is, seems to just go in there in no particular order. sometimes it's the right order, sometimes it isn't....

*shrugs*

Adam -

Thanks for the feedback, but I tried out your hypothesis and it doesn't seem to hold true. Seems that it doesn't matter if the files are in list view or icon view, the order they appear when they open looks to be random (at least I can't discern an order).

Odd...

JE

Yep, it's also visible in Preview; the thumbnails will be in no clear order.

Perhaps they end up sorted by FileID, inode, or something else not really user-visible?

This problem has been driving me nuts too. Whether I open a series of images in preview or Omniweb, they open in random order, even when selected sequentially in order. VERY frustrating.

Back