Wierd CD behavior

pedz

Registered
I have two Mac's -- roughly 2007 Mac Book Pro's. One is rather beat up. Both are running the latest 10.6.4

I got a CD with data on it from a film processing shop and put it into the Mac and the Mac eventually gave me the same prompt as you get when you put in a fresh, unburnt, writable CD. I asked the Mac to eject the CD which it did.

I went back to the shop and they could mount the CD just fine (I think they had a PC). I tried a second time on the Mac -- same thing. I then put it in an AIX system and it could read it just fine too. So, the CD is "ok" as far as AIX and Windows is concerned but the Mac sees it as a fresh new unburnt CD.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be happening? I'm not sure even what to look at.

Thanks,
pedz

What is an "optical drive" (other than a CD of DVD drive which is what the Mac has)?

It's likely the session was left open when the CD was burned. Sometimes when this is done on a PC, the resulting disc is not readable on a Mac. The other issue could be that it might have been burned in an obscure PC only version of the CD-ROM format - CD-ROM-XA, which also can't be read.

Back