Wierd disk message when logging in ....

keyizm

Registered
i just updated to 10.2.4 and when i logged into a normal (non-admin) account on the machine i got the following error dialog,
"You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted, click ignore."
i didn't have any media in any of the drives and this message pops up EVERY TIME someone logs in locally to the machine. does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

You might get some more info by opening a Terminal and running the "df" (disk-freespace) command to see what file systems are mounted.
You might also try running the Disk Utility and repairing disk permissions.

I noticed exactly the same problem. Also, the machine sometimes seems to hang when logging out of the non-admin account. The disk utility doesn't report any problems, and repairing the permissions didn't solve it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Do you have dev tools installed, Keyizm? My hunch is that it might have to do with this, but I haven't checked this out at all.

yeah ... i've got dev tools installed but this problem only starting popping up after i installed 10.2.4. i haven't noticed hanging when logging out of a non-admin account though, just that annoying popup message. urrggghhhh :( anyone have any other ideas?

Sounds like the warning message and the hanging on logout are two separate problems. It's definatly 10.2.4, though. Going back to 10.2.3 fixed both for me.

Reinstalling 10.2.3 and 10.2.4 with the combo installers didn't make a difference, either. In fact, after I reinstalled 10.2.4 (doing 10.2 (archive install), 10.2.3, and 10.2.4) I got two of those annoying login messages right on top of each other.

Seems like a clue, but I didn't persue it. 10.2.4 just doesn't work for me :(

yeah ... i've been having small problems with 10.2.4 as well :( how were you able to go back to 10.2.3? can i just run the 10.2.3 combo installer or do i have to nuke my machine?

You have to do an Archive and Install of 10.2, and then run the 10.3 updater. I'm not sure how much you lose from your old install by doing this. I clicked the box in the installer to copy over the users, and my machine is essentially the same as before.

Have you tried zapping the PRAM or holding down Option-Control-Shift, that resets the Power Management Unit which keeps track of devices in the machine. Wait about 10 seconds, then do a normal reset and that should reset the Power Management. Otherwise maybe try doing an archive re-install or maybe try calling Apple?

-Juxel

actually holding down "Option-Control-Shift" at boot time for a couple of seconds caused my mac to boot into "Safe Mode". i tried it 2x and got the same effect. what this does i've got no clue but i thought it was kinda cool. just hold down the keys until that circle with the lines shows up and it'll boot into safe mode. but that still didn't solve my problem though :(

I'm having the same problem and so is my brother and so is many other mac users and Apple's own BBS is full of Mac users who have this very same problem, here's just 3 of those message:

1. Apple Discussions

2. Apple Discussions

3. Apple Discussions

The problem started with 10.2.4 and you can do a quick fix by making the account your having problems with an admin. But hey, if you ask me, that's not a solution.

Back