Wierd fan noise

Drizzt

Registered
I have a g4 single processor 867 that I just got it and I'm really getting worried about the fan in it as it's making wierd noises. It's going uurr urrr urr as if it's kinda grunting. I think it's because it's dirty inside since I have to keep the unit on the floor in my dorm room because the desks they provide us w/ just aren't big enough to put it on the desk along w/ the monitor. I looked inside it, but I couldn't see any way to get to the fan. Does anyone think my fan is in serious trouble? Should I look into getting it cleaned somehow?

I think you should try to get it cleaned, or even better, bring it into an AppleCentre and see if they can clean it for you, or replace the fan. One of my PC friends had a pc where the fan screwed up, and his Duron melted his motherboard. No joking. Green goo :S

if his g4 is getting that warm he has a lot more problems than just a fan.

It won't hurt it at all to take the fan out and clean it... or at least give it a good blast of air while still inside the case. I've had many PC fan's go out, making the same noise you're talking about. The majority of the time the bushing for the fan was worn. With the age of your computer you shouldn't be having this problem though.

Clean it, and if it's still noisy, replace it. Replacement fans can be found all over the place.

Back