Wierd Log in problem and browser issues HELP

starhorsepax

Registered
Hi all. New here.
I bought this refurbished macbook about 2 months ago and don't have any install disc or backups. I'm still paying for it and can't afford the other stuff yet.
So I'm freaked.
First Safari wouldn't let me type in the google bar, when it did it showed **** like I was doing a password.
Firefox, same thing.
I tried restarting and then the log in screen let me type 2 ** and then the screen picture jiggled and wouldn't let me continue. I restarted again and finally it worked.
Any ideas here? I did have a crash earlier today: I was on a website playing a streaming vid and suddenly got: restart your computer message. At the time there seemed no ill effects.
It's running Mac OS 10.5.7. I have 3 accounts set on here-and all three did the same thing at log in.

I really hope and pray this is a fluke. I really need this thing-living in a dorm with no macs was driving me insane until I got it. (That's why I have auto log in disabled-extra security.) So any help or advice will be appreciated.

The "restart your computer" message is called a kernel panic. With it happening while streaming video, bad RAM would be my first guess. I'd try swapping out RAM and try to reduplicate. With the typing thing, it would be handy if you had an Apple USB keyboard around to try and reduplicate the issue on a different keyboard.

Whomever you are "still paying for" the Macbook should provide you with the Installation disks if they are legitimate.

If not, you should deduct the cost of them from your payment. Similarly for what is probably bad RAM. You should Google "Memtest" and pay the like $1.47 for it. IT, unlike many other programs, quickly diagnoses bad RAM. That will provide you proof to show whomever sold you this he sold you bad RAM. Some RAM is guaranteed for life. Data Memory Systems guarantees its RAM. Others may recommend other places.

You should also consider getting an external HD to back everything up. If you be in college, your internal HD will fail, your keyboard melt, and Ninja steal your girlfriend the night before you thesis is due. If you clone your HD regularly to an external HD you will recover your data, actually be able to use the computer hooked up to the Ex-HD until you can get an new one, and look at all of those pictures you took of your girlfriend without having to talk to her.

Win all around! :)

--J.D.

Thanks. Trying memtest. Unfortunately no printer. Oops-have to write out the instructions by hand!
Can anyone tell me about how long it takes? I'm not seeing anything in the instructions about whether I have to stop it or it stops itself. I'll need to plan the best time.
I should say though there was a suspicious line in console afterward that ended with 'machine destroy'. So I'm not at all sure the crash itself was not a malicious attack of some kind. (Are there any legit reasons for a code to be named that???) For that matter I don't know if it was related to the log in problem for certain.
As for the install disc: they claim to be an authorized apple reseller. When my old imac was upgraded to Panther they didn't give me the install disc either-and that was done at the local Apple Store! So it seems to be a fairly common practice, but a very inconvenient one.

Last edited:
Back