Wierdness; printing suddenly 10x slower?

d1taylor

Writer, et. al.
I'm wondering if I triggered some sort of switch on my printer driver (or printer), but in the last day printing has become unimaginably slow on my Mac OS X system. Pages that used to print in 15-20 seconds now take 15 minutes or longer to transmit to the printer and print.

I have a print job running currently, a one page Web page printout, and it seems to be wedged at "Spooling LPR job, 27% complete..."

My question: how can I reset my printer drivers and/or printer? I have Mac OS X 10.2.3 and an HP LaserJet 2100TN printer hooked up via Ethernet.

I don't think it's the "Safari install bug from hell" because that causes the printouts to fail, not to queue horribly slowly...

Ideas?

btw, I deleted the printer in my printer list and re-added it, and I've also cycled power on the printer. Still nothing. In fact, now it sits and spins at "Connecting from port 1009..."

*sigh*

Hello,

I have noticed this as well. I have a LJ 2100TN as well. Some things will print really quickly, while other things, take eons, like PDFs.

My wife tried to print some stuff from Illustrator and got PS errors on the printer. She printed to a PDF, and then printed the PDF, took 15 minutes or so to print. Just a dump file with about 4 lines of text.

I later had her upgrade to the latest Illustrator 10.0.3 and that fixed her postscript error and everything printed fine.

PDFs however on both machines are running very slow. I don't print tons of stuff, so I don't have much to compare it to in recent history, but it seems awfully slow.

Scott

Quick update: I have found that some material prints quickly (for example, the printer test page from the HP LaserJet Utility running in Classic prints in just seconds, and the full-screen graphic at spymac prints in about 15 seconds). I also read up on the HP Communications issue from 10.2.2, but that doesn't seem relevant because 'ps' doesn't show any applications with "hp" in their name running, and '"locate" doesn't show I have a copy of HP Communications.app on my system at all.

Hmmm.... theories, anyone?? If I had bad RAM on my printer, what kind of problems would I see?

Check the print quality settings(they might be set to max quality)... Also clue us in as to how your printer is setup, ie. via usb, network, etc. Do you have ghostscript installed? Check out gimp-print.sourceforge.net. They have a nice array of printer drivers that all revolve around the CUPS printing environment, plus a handy FAQ as well.

My printer is hooked up via IP / Ethernet. I have a local LAN. Other computers seem to be printing fine, and some of my own printouts seem to work fine, while others take forever. I don't suppose that 10.2.3 has a newer version of postscript, does it?

Back