WiFi Antenna Range

sigex

Registered
I'm trying to link these 2 houses together right now. Right now my problem is that there is only one place that I can put the antenna in the other house that will get a signal. The signal is very weak. I'm using a WAP11 v2.2 with a High Gain Panel Directional Antenna attached to it in Both houses in order to create a bridge. The houses are accross the street and 1 house to the right from eachother. Does anyone know how I can get a better signal? I would like to be able to put the antenna in the garage so its out of site but it can't go through the wall. Where should I put the antennas? Should I get different antennas?

The directional antennas should be fine. Try to put them in line of sight with each other, aimed directly at each other, at about the same level, keeping this line away from power lines and anything else that might interfere. This might mean aiming the antennas below or above power lines. A couple of trees won't hurt. A good solution is to clip the antenna onto a small TV mast, or even onto an existing TV mast.

Of course, this assumes the antennas are deisnged for outdoor use.

very cool project. Keep us updated on how everything goes. I'd love to hear what kind of set ups you have in the houses. Are you sharing the same internet connection? Playing LAN games? Sounds very cool!

Putting them outside seems very impractical. I am trying to possibly find an antenna that can blast through the thick walls here ;)

I may have found a very cool antenna so i'll keep you guys updated

Going through walls probably isn't going to give you very good results. The signal always weakens some going through an object, and I'm guessing that the other antenna is inside as well...that would be another wall and another bit of the strength lost.

Outside the house may not look nice, but you save a lot of the signal strength by doing so.

Back