WiFi WPA Reconnect & AutoMator?

kevinfoutch

Registered
All, thanks for taking time to read my question and post possible solutions. I've searched this forum for similar solutions but was unsuccessful, so if one exists, sorry for the redundancy and I'll gladly take the redirect link to correct spot!

My question is this: Is there a way to have my Mac Mini search for Wifi status, say once an hour, and if it is not connected, search for my home SSID and reconnect with a WPA passed as a text variable - perhaps using Automator?

I use my mac mini for my home theater, and I have dyndns running with SSH / VNC / Screen Sharing successfully working. The problem is, my Mac Mini periodically gets disconnected from my home wifi network and then I am unable to SSH or VNC while away from home.

I don't know why it drops, probably something to do with my ISP or other reason, therefore I thought running an AutoMator script periodically would solve my problem. But, I'm not familiar with AutoMator or other scripting tools and would gladly take any advice. If AutoMator or other scripting solution will run near real-time without being too resource intensive, that's fine too, but I'd settle for once an hour schedule.

Also worth noting, I am using an Airport Extreme, current model, as my Wifi router and Comcast xfinity for ISP. I connect remotely from android mobile device for SSH / SFTP and my Macbook Pro for VNC.

Thanks in advance for your help!

@satcomer, thanks! So far, so good. Basically, I had some of your suggestions already implemented but did apply one change. The key change I made from your advice was to disable IPV6. I wanted to change one variable at a time, and this was the first configuration change made based on other forums discussing similar issues.

My WiFi has been stable for 1 week + whereas it used to drop multiple times in a day.

Thanks again!

Back