Will Apple drop OS X in favour of Windows?

I've used PC's since they came out. I have just puchased an iMac G5 and love it...leaves winxp for dead. The first week I had my iMac I wanted to throw it out the window. It would not do what I wanted it to. I realised that I was in an XP mentality. Once i accepted it as a totally different OS and re educated myself I began to be able to do the things I wanted but I will never forget that first week. I do think though that the Mac is far superior to a PC.

Well I am new to Mac, but have a degree in networking so I have ALWAYS used wintel and lintel machines. I got so fed up over time with all the crap going on with a wintel machine as far as crashing and the amount of programs you had to run just to keep the OS from taking a crap. So one night I threw all but on of my machines on ebay and took the money and purchased my first mac. So now to my point. THE reason i like Mac is the stability and performance. So now why is Mac OS X so stable. Quite simply it is (partly at least) the fact that there are not hundreds of manufacturers for each part making it imposable to test the OS with every configuration. OS X can reasonably be tested with most (if not all) configurations of each of there systems. If OS X is released for non-mac machines they are going to have to try and cram a lot of information which is just going to lead to problems wich will lead to fixes wich leads to problems and so on. If they scrap OS X and just use there hardware then all the OS X users are going to be pissed that they have to revert back to a crappy OS. Maybe I am just rambelling but dear god if there is a higher power in the sky let Mac never scrap OS X or port it for non-mac machines.

Seeing that Steve Jobs isn't stupid and he is a Unix type of guy (brought Unix to Next and Apple) OSX is here to stay while Steve is around.

If he ever leaves Apple who knows what will happen.

i think to some extent, the Mac OS is his passion, his little baby. the ipod, the iMac, Disney, Pixar etc give him money so that he can play with his passion. it gives him reason and licence to get away with being so awkward about it. for being stubborn about its survival.

i mean, i don't bloody know, but that would seem to be the emotion behind it, if i were a psychologist. windows would be like being told your child were being put down, or something.

This "theory" makes no sense - without an OS of it's own, Apple is what? A software company (iLife, FCP...)? A hardware company with no clear advantage over cheapo Dell's other than physical design? A MP3 player company? I would think the opposite is happening here (in a strategic sense). Macs that run everything might eventually show people what they are missing.

Apple will continue to create their own OS. With Apple's success this millennium there's absolutely no reason to drop Mac OS X in favor of an inferior OS such as Windows.

The thing that has always made Apple who they are are their computers, and their own OS that goes with it. If the OS vanished, then Apple wouldn't survive very long in my opinion. It's the OS that draws users to the hardware, and now with the introduction of dual-booting into Windows it will draw larger crowds to great computers capable of running both.

Nah, I think it will continue how it is, but just so that you can use the two OS's on the one computer. Makes more money for both companies, Probably Microsoft and Apple made some kind of deal.
It will just be like Linux on a PC so you are able to use Windows on a Mac, and I suppose Windows would probably be more reliable on a Mac system anyway, it really depends.
Although I would like to see Mac on my Windows.
:D

Back