Will Apple & Jaguar ever support our "older" macs?

Samuel

Registered
Will they ever develop drivers to support our graphic cards? Will anyone else do it?
I'm talking about my pismo, but there's alot of people out there in the same situation right?

Thank's

Your graphics card is supported since Mac OS X 10.0. It is _not_ supported in QuartzExtreme, because QE is based on capabilities your graphics card will never provide. Thus, all is well that can be well with OS X and your graphics card.

I think what Samuel is trying to get at here is that Apple needs to provide quictime acceleration and openGL support. The truth is already known that you just will not be able to push high frame-rates in demanding games like Q3A, but at least it would load!!!

Also apps like Bryce that allow you to work in an OpenGL window, granted (again) it will be slow, but atleast it would load.

This is the complaint... this is always what the complaint was about. The fact that this was a functionality in OS9 that worked just fine has not been carried over to OSX.

You're right Bubbajim.
I think Apple should be more carefull about making people feel their computers are obsolete after a year. It's just crazy that even some of the Titanium PB's ("the super cool futuristic laptop") aren't supported by Quartz Extreme. It makes me feel that Apple doesn't care about what people bought, but what people will buy. It's just sad...

okay, buddies. I *do* have a TiBook that is not supported by QE. Of *course* I'm sad that my Ti isn't the newest and greatest any more, but it's still one of the greatest notebooks ever. iWhiners should just accept a little more. You (and I) were *NOT* promised QE on our machines. Ever.

Plus you still have the ability to boot OS 9 if you really need to, right?

I don't exactly define 'need' on my machine as 'Quake' or something like that. My machine is running Jaguar great. I can get all of my graphics design work done on the TiBook in the most comfortable way. Sure, I'd like to have a 1 GHz TiBook, too, but I didn't BUY one, when I bought my TiBook 500. That's just a fact.

I have to agree with you Fryke. I have the same Ti. It doesn't support QE either but it does run 10.2 faster than 10.1.5 which was my concern. Things do run much faster across the board even Quake, btw. Not a screamer but playable at low res. Great machine just the video is the weak point by todays standard but for design work, it works just fine. :)

Yeah. I think all old 'Bookers, (especially 1st gen TiBookers) are a little sad that we don't get QE. But you know what? I think 10.2 is a great improvement even without it. In 10, we got quite a few visual effects, smooth as silk, but sucked up processor time like there was no tomorrow. Then, when I upgraded to 10.1, Aqua felt faster... but I found visual bugs like broken icons in the dock and stuff like that. 10.2 is great. Doesn't suck up too much CPU, and the visual effects are consistent and smooth. Except for window-resiszing... but that's another story....

I agree with you too. I just wonder if is so difficult to support more computers. I'm running 10.1.5 on my Pismo and i works great and i supose it will be better with Jaguar, but is asking for Quartz too much?:rolleyes:

I think the best thing Apple can do is add some more customization options to 10, for us older 'bookers. That's all I want really. I know with my ancient powerbook, that I'm never going to see qe. It's just not possible. But what would make me happy, and something I've posted here before, is a way to turn off the more processor intensive visuals, ie live window resizing, etc. Give me a pref panel that lets me selectively turn on/off visual effects. They've started with the ability to change the way the dock works, different minimizing options, etc. I just want more options! Honestly, my mac is still plenty fast for design work, but it really chokes on live resizes and such.

Windows xp gives you these features, and it'd be something I'd be more than happy if Apple were to "steal" this idea.

j5

I agree. Apple should let us choose how we want to waste CPU cycles. :D A little more customization of visuals would be nice.

TinkerTool is nice. But it seems like Jaguar doesn't honor the settings as far as anti-aliased text is concerned. I turned aa text off, but it was still blurry. I had to muck with a plist file to get what I wanted, but mail still has the aa text. NoZoom just gets rid of the finder window zooming correct? I'll have to take a look at that. Zooming windows isn't too slow though for me. My biggest complaints are the blurry text and window resizing. But I think my boss just ordered me a 667 tibook! WOOHOAOAAAA!!

J5

Back