Will it Happen?

Trip

Registered
How long have iPods been around now? I'm not talking the big HD ones, just the cheap little ones?

Well, however long: do you think Apple will EVER lower their price? With a price of what they currently are (I agree with it, but still) I can't afford one. :)

Comments on the price drop?

How low do you think it'll drop? I'm hoping for at least a $100 drop, but if it does drop by that much then I have to decide between a digital cam corder or an iPod. :/

While Apple does drop the price of their computers, they seems to keep the price of their perpherials like the Studio Displays, speakers, mice, keyboards and iPods constant.

I don't think you'll see a price drop in the iPod anytime soon, but I may be wrong. A $100 drop though wouldn't be very likely.

Maybe $50. Also, if sales don't slow down on these items, which I don't think they have, Apple would have no incentive at all to drop prices.

If at all, probably Christmas. That's when Apple has been historically lacking in new/exciting things. I wouldn't put money on it or anything but if anyone at Apple reads this, maybe they will agree that a little excitement right before the buying season, rather than January which is after the buying season, would do them good. A price drop (and ad campaign) right around the holidays would push iPods that may be slowing in numbers.

What they seem to like to do is offer rebates on bundles. Like, buy a computer, save $100 on the iPod.

Unfortunately, the price of NEW peripherals has rarely changed (I have owned 3 Studio Displays now over about 8 years, and I paid $500 for each of them...)

The way to do it is to wait until the new ones come out, than keep an eye in MacMall, OWC, Small Dog etc. for attempts to unload the "outdated" models...

It'd be great if they'd lower their prices on ipods, but I doubt you'll see it. Just look at the Airport cards and Airport Base Stations. They are still at the same prices since they were introduced. The base stations were updated, but came in at the same price as the old one.

A small hint from marketing: Apple wants the iPod to be both cool and a luxury item. Almost affordable, so the people who want one will buy one. If Apple, say, introduces a 15 or 20 GB version this Summer, they can't offer the 5 GB version for a lower price, they have to erase it from their offers. Else the 'highend' iPods aren't recognised as luxury items anymore. So: No, I don't think there'll be a low priced iPod at any time. You'll get more for the price over time, though.

Doesnt anyone think it would be better for Apple if they would sell more iPods? If they dropped the price, I would think about buying one. I am in the same pickle, lack of money. If Apple dropped $100. I would order one right away.

I'm pretty sure they aren't making too much profit on these. If they dropped the price, selling more will only make their losses more. I can not say for certain but I think they introduced them at a price that gave them a loss (the 5 gig HD was $399 so they lost whatever it cost to make the toshiba hard drive into an Mp3 player) Then the new sized HD came out so they are now making a profit on the 5gig.

It's doubtful that they'll drop the price anytime soon. As Koelling said, they aren't making a whole lot of profit as it is. If you're looking for a cheaper one try a used online store or even ebay. I don't know if they sell refurb iPods, but you could check into it. I've had mine since December last year and I couldn't live without it. ;)

Back