Will Leopard Cost $$$$$$?

mwilkie40

Registered
Still very much a nOOb so sorry if this is a dumb question, but will the upgrade to Leopard cost money? Or will it just be a large software update that is available through my typical Mac OS X updates? Thanks

Leopard will be a pay upgrade. It will most likely cost $129, the same as every other major upgrade (Jaguar, Panther, Tiger) in the past.

No, Apple has not been more specific than 'spring next year'. Maybe even 'late spring next year', forgot which one it was. It will all depend on how the development process unfolds and, quite possibly, when exactly Microsoft launches Vista.

If 'x' in 'MacOS X 10.x.y' increments - as in from '4' ('Tiger') to '5' ('Leopard'), also known as - a 'major' update, there is always a fee.

But just think of all those neat new (and most likely, must have) buggy features ... all for $129 (or euro, etc. equivalent). You get to beta test for Apple, yet again!

Seriously, when 'y' in 'MacOS X 10.x.y' increments - as in from '0' to '9', there is no fee. You can use the 'Apple, Software Update' menu item, 'System Preferences' 'Software Update' utility, or 'Apple Downloads' to obtain, and / or install the respective 'minor' update(s).

Some one sounds a bit bitter..........:mad:
Not without reason. The smart upgraders wait until 10.x.4-8 before upgrading. I, however, am not a smart upgrader. :eek: I always upgrade immediately. I brave the bugs, so you don't have to! Or something like that...

I'd say the smart thing for the "immediate" type is to wait a couple of _days_ at least, to see what bug-reports come up early. If the general tune is that there are some issues with non-updated 3rd party applications but other than that, the update's fine, then it's a "go". If you hear about drastic stuff like people losing all of their files or - worse - some of their hardware, I'd say a closer look at those reports are in order.

Since I beta test OS X and tend to move my main system over to the betas in the later stages (only in a "real" system can you find the nastier and smaller bugs...), I guess I'm a fast mover as well.

Most of the bad experience, I guess, stems from Panther, though. IIRC, all other "big" versions had a much better track record. Panther started with frying FireWire drives and later had some nasty bugs in several .x.y-updates. At the very beginning of OS X, every update was hailed big time, as even the "small" updates could contain very important and still missing features - and they also _truly_ brought better performance (10.0-10.1.5). With 10.4, I've had much less issues than with 10.3 updates. And I hope Leopard will be even better and more finished from the start. The longer time Apple gives its developers surely helps giving the OS the finishing touches.

And yes it'll cost 129 USD. :)

I also upgrade immediately because I like to get my hands on the new technology. I been fortunate to get educational pricing from Apple. If you a college student, or associated with any educational institution, or know some one who is, take advantage of the discounts.

I must have missed the part where Apple mandated I update to Leopard or they would repossess my computers.

Don't upgrade if you don't want to. I'm stilling running Panther because I wasn't impressed enough with Tiger. Nothing insane about it. Don't buy it if you don't want it.

Oh, and if you aren't willing to buy it, please don't steal it.

Back