Will March 24 OSX require OS9?

bobbob

Registered
Does any one know if the March 24 release will require OS9 to be previously installed?

zpincus

Registered
There's been some discussion of whether "classic" will come bundled with OSX or you'll need a separate OS 9 install to run it. Either case, OS X will be standalone unless you want classic.

But given the amount of effort and PR Apple's been putting into "OS X Runs Classic Applications" and the fact that OS X will be pre-installed on computers starting in June (when there will still be plenty of need for Classic), my bet is that OS 9 will be included (at least enough of it to run classic, if perhaps not enough to boot into standalone -- but I'd bet they include the whole thing.)

Also, the price is a bit more than pervious OS's (which are usually around $100...) -- perhaps this means you are getting a "two for one" pricing?

Just my $0.02

Zach

GrBear

Registered
Just read on Apple's MacOSX page that the release version of OSX WILL include a copy of OS9.1 for classic mode.

Originally posted by bobbob
Does any one know if the March 24 release will require OS9 to be previously installed?