Will Restore CDs reformat my comp?

Boyko

Mad Scientist
Hey... here's something interesting that i'd like to do.

I'd like to run the restore CDs that came with my G4 Quicksilver to see if I can get to a couple of the developer tools - and take away some of the crap I won't need.

Is there a way to restore the restore CDs to a new system folder without having to reformat the drive? I'd like to keep everything on here that I have set up already.

Brian.

If you run the restore CDs, I suspect they would reformat things. Hopefully they would be clever enough to leave user files intact, but don't count on it.

You might see if pacifist (look on versiontracker) will let you selectively install stuff from the CDs...

If you are talking about Restore CDs that run from OS 9, there should be a pop-up menu or some check boxes that say "Restore in Place". If you use that, your existing files will not be modified... only the ones you are installing will be replaced if they are in their default locations. If you want to erase your drive before installing, then select the "Erase before Restoring" option.

I think I remember reading something on MacFixIt.com, though, that says newer restore CDs don't come with the "Restore in Place" option. If that's true, that's a shame.

Back