Will someone come out with PPC to Intel upgrade

kirktalon

Registered
I was just wondering if it were possible. Are these companies like Newertech or Powerlogix, who sell G3 to G4 upgrades, going to find a way to let me switch out my PPC processor(s) in my Mac(s)? :D

I assume there are obstacles in the computer architecture.

Like putting the hot V-8 engine in the old model T?

The PPC is not a model T. But, the answer to your question is "No." PPC-based Mac motherboards are manufactured by Apple. Intel-based Mac motherboards are manufactured by Intel. They are completely different.

Sorry, very bad comparison especially since I have three of them. One PB G3 400 mhz Lombard which will only run OS 9. One PB G3 500 mhz Pismo
and one Power Mac G4 dual 450 mhz. All bought on eBay.

Should have said here that my Lombard has problems that keep it from running OS X.

Yes, I'm aware that Lombards should be able to run up to 10.3.9 BUT mine will not. I've tried checking the memory with Memtest and loading and reloading OS X to no success. I was told that the processor was found to be bad for running OS X and that Apple at one point was even replacing them.

Here is what Ben in the Question/Response says:

It probably has a bad processor card, as did mine when I tried to upgrade to OS X in 2001. It had run the Public Beta fine, but 10.0 never worked. Turned out that the earlier revision of the processor daughtercard was faulty and had been revised later in the Lombard's development.

Apple might replace it for free, even if you never had AppleCare. If you can't get through to a second or third tier tech who's familiar with this issue, old as it may be, and get some solid answers, you have have to buy a replacement on your own.

You can get a 400 MHz G3 from iFixit.com for $250, however you might be more interested in the 433 MHz G4 from Daystar:
http://www.xlr8.com/Apple_Mac_Produc...ombard_PS.html

- Ben

So right now I haven' t decided whether to inquire with Apple or not. Save up for a Mactel instead of invest with more on the Lombard.

The intel chip and the power pc chip are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT as you know. A processor upgrade is nearly impossible on the power pc machines because of the major differences between the cpu, memory controller, firmware etc. It's like trying to fit a small block v8 in a Yugo. Pointless. Even if you could do said upgrade, it would probably cost more than getting a new 17 inch iMac because of the massive re-tooling required.

Apple had attempted something like this when they went from 680x0 CPUs to PPC CPUs. They had actually made some of the last 68K models "PowerPC Upgradeable" but apparently Apple never made good on their promise. In response, there was a class-action lawsuit filed against Apple. Apple settled (if I recall) and that was the end of that.

While it is possible (some third parties did actually create PPC upgrades for the older 68K Macs), I don't think it would happen any time soon. Also consider that it wouldn't be the best solution since the PPC Macs' logic board designs might cause a bottleneck for the newer Intel CPUs coming down the pike.

Really? I had a Performa 630 which came with a 68LC040 processor. I bought the PPC upgrade card and it worked fine. Was a bit strange that there were _two_ processors inside (you could choose in a control panel which one to use and then had to reboot after the change), but it basically worked just fine at that time. Same for some PowerBooks. Of course, those Macs' motherboards weren't really optimised for the PPC, and there was a data-throughput problem which didn't exactly speed things up, but it _did_ work and Apple _did_ sell those upgrades. However: Back then prices were different, and I think you'd be better off to wait a little longer and just get an intel Mac at some point in time, anyway - even *if* Apple or anyone could/would appear with upgrades like that. But as has been said: It's technically highly improbable. You'd basically have to rip out everything and replace both motherboard and processor and then you'd have a PC. Can do that - but shouldn't.

fryke said:
Really? I had a Performa 630 which came with a 68LC040 processor. I bought the PPC upgrade card and it worked fine. Was a bit strange that there were _two_ processors inside (you could choose in a control panel which one to use and then had to reboot after the change), but it basically worked just fine at that time. Same for some PowerBooks. Of course, those Macs' motherboards weren't really optimised for the PPC, and there was a data-throughput problem which didn't exactly speed things up, but it _did_ work and Apple _did_ sell those upgrades. However: Back then prices were different, and I think you'd be better off to wait a little longer and just get an intel Mac at some point in time, anyway - even *if* Apple or anyone could/would appear with upgrades like that. But as has been said: It's technically highly improbable. You'd basically have to rip out everything and replace both motherboard and processor and then you'd have a PC. Can do that - but shouldn't.

I could have sworn that Apple had to deal with a lawsuit from owners of those older Macs that were supposedly upgradeable but never had the option from Apple...eh, maybe I'm losing it. :rolleyes:

Still, as you mentioned the better option now is to just upgrade to a newer Mac.

Well, maybe there were _other_ types of machines which had such a problem... I don't really remember. I just wanted to mention that in _some_ cases it worked, albeit not an ideal solution, anyway.

Basically it's like PC world.

You can upgrade from a PIV 2 GHz to a PIV 2.4 GHz without problem (if you have the same socket, the same RAM speed...), but you cannot upgrade to an A64 unless you change the whole mother board.

So, would it not be unreasonable to assume that a 3rd party could make a combo CPU+Mobo for say, the Power Mac G5 case?

You could probably just switch it out and re-attach the components, no?

Probably just not cost effective for Apple, they would rather sell you a whole new Powermac than just a new motherboard.....

But could be done, you just have to replace the motherboard....

Back