Will these work with Tiger

RGrphc2

...InSaNe...
I'm curious if the programs i have installed will work for Tiger when i update. The one's i am curious about are :

Sidetrack
Fruit Menu
Candy Bar
Lablels X

I have never done an Apple OS Update, windows yes, mac no...so i'm kinda nervous about it, lol.

Those are all reasonable sorts of programs to be concerned about.

Any that don't work correctly with Tiger will likely be updated soon. I think Candy Bar is updated quite regularly, even for minor releases.

I don't know about the others, but Candy Bar has been updated for each 10.3.x increment so I assume it'll do so for 10.4.

Don't quote me on that though!

I'm not sure about sidetrack, but have you tried iScroll? I prefer iScroll over Sidetrack due to iScroll enables the two finger scrolling feature on older powerbook and ibook models. iScroll can be found here to install it you need to remove installation check. Fruit Menu works and the information can be found at this direct link

Going from Jaguar to Panther, unsanity updated Fruit Menu and Shape Shifter relatively quickly, but Labels X took forever.

when i install tiger, will i have to back up all my apps and docs? or does it just install nicely around them?

Basically, you're fine. You can simply upgrade from Panther to Tiger. However your questions suggests that you don't regularly create backups of your documents. May I suggest you create some sort of regular backup anyway? ;) ...

According to the Tech Specs for OS X.4, it states

Note: Mac OS X does not support processor upgrade cards.
Does this mean that Tiger will not run or just that Apple does not support. I have a Quicksilver 733, and am planning on replacing the processor with a 1.2 GH from OWC.

fryke - you're right - i don't and i should. probably daunted by the process.

any tips? the biggy is apps. a lot of the programs i don't have the disks/installers for (brothers software, internet downloads etc). how would i go about backing these up? or is it very simply a case of copying user~/applications? how much of the apps is "installed" across the harddrive? or is it inconsistent? the apps is the main reason for not really backing up. the music and photo library's are all on a usb2 lacie 80gb. but thats nearly full now :( 62GB. documnets is easy to back up - i'll just buy some dvds

Apple does not support processor upgrade cards, but the cards do support OS X. If you buy an upgrade card from OWC they will guarantee it to run the current OS-- that is really the point of upgrades, after all. (I am running Panther on a non Apple-supported, upgraded iMac.)

Lt Major Burns said:
fryke - you're right - i don't and i should. probably daunted by the process.

any tips? the biggy is apps. a lot of the programs i don't have the disks/installers for (brothers software, internet downloads etc). how would i go about backing these up? or is it very simply a case of copying user~/applications? how much of the apps is "installed" across the harddrive? or is it inconsistent? the apps is the main reason for not really backing up. the music and photo library's are all on a usb2 lacie 80gb. but thats nearly full now :( 62GB. documnets is easy to back up - i'll just buy some dvds

for my backups of programs use Disk Utility to make a Disk Image file of those things you need to backup and burn to a CD

with me, i make a backup every 3 months of all my documents/games...etc.
anything personal really, and i have a folder on my desktop called "programs" and whenever it his 700MB in size, i burn it to a CD and delete from the computer.

4lfclover said:
iScroll can be found here to install it you need to remove installation check.

Hello I just installed Tiger but cant get iScroll2 to install :( I cant figure out howto remove " installation check " , I would really appreciate it if someoen could tell me how its done.

Thanks

According to sidetrack website and info there needs to be some permissions that Tiger gets upset with after the install...but if you fix the permissions it is supposed to be ok. Update to avoid the problem to come shortly.

I honestly did not get a Mac for a long time because I didn't think about searching for a scrolling program....I could NOT live without SideTrack on my 12' 1.2ghz iBook...When I got this thing I never thought that I would think about getting a mac desktop...now I may skip building my next desktop (which I've built a few amd64's) in favor of an iMac...

rant over. sorry.

joneSi

The newest version of iScroll2 installs fine in Tiger - without any installation check removal.

Back