Will UT 2003 come out for mac?

macfreak88

Bring me Tiger!
Hi!,

I wonder if Unreal Tournament will come out for mac, I checked the website and it looks awsome! and so the graphic!.

Because I looked at www.insidemacgames.com and it said (I think) that UT 2003 will come out for OS X. Look yourself at their release list.

:s

Yes right now it will be coming out for the mac, the question is when. The company is doing an in house port of it and all they've said is sometime before the holidays in December. For some reason though, I have the bad feeling that any day now they're gonna delay it to something like "First Quarter 2003". Maybe I'm just too negative though.... -_-

If they're doing an in house port more than likely they hired OS X programmers or got their previous programmers trained for the differences in OS X. That's probably a good thing. If that's the case we'll probably see a simultaneous release of UT2, just like blizzard has done with Diablo II and Warcraft III, and Id has done with Quake III. Supposedly Doom III will be a simultaneous release as well, for Mac and PC.

I dare not even guess what the specs will be, what with the PC specs...this might be scary, folks...

When try to open the internetgames dialogue and trying to press like "All servers" or "Populated server" the games totaly hangs, is there a way I can play over internet because t would be really cool!

But the stupid (don't mean it by words :)) game hangs!

Originally posted by voice-
I dare not even guess what the specs will be, what with the PC specs...this might be scary, folks...

The specs will be Mac G4 @ 1.5 GHz, w/ a Radeon 9700. Minimum.

Muahahaha.

Yes, it's coming to macintosh SOON! And no the specs are not all that high, they suggested at least something along the lines of a G3 450 with a suped up graphics card, and that's with everything turned down in the game.

But who am I to complain? At least I get to play it! :)

NOTE: Information received from ign.com

Originally posted by Rhino_G3
If they're doing an in house port more than likely they hired OS X programmers or got their previous programmers trained for the differences in OS X. That's probably a good thing. If that's the case we'll probably see a simultaneous release of UT2, just like blizzard has done with Diablo II and Warcraft III, and Id has done with Quake III. Supposedly Doom III will be a simultaneous release as well, for Mac and PC.

They have their Linux guy doing the port of it, but I read that he did not start working on the Mac port until the PC and Linux versions were both released so that still doesn't leave him a lot of time to code and debug everything. Which also leads me to fear that we'll get this massively buggy game if it makes the scheduled holiday release. Can you tell I think really negatively about this stuff? I really don't know why either.

Ahh, I see. Hopefully it won't be extremely buggy. I wouldn't think they would release it if it was, but I've seen it done before. Oh well, I'm not a big UT fan myself anyway. I'm a Quake fan.

I have been playing it on my pc, and it is a killer game. However, you are going to need a fast system to run it, my pc is 700 mhz, geforce2mx 64mb and 384 mb ram, and it lags at around 20 fps. To run it on a mac I would say 800mhz and a geforce 4mx minimum, and that would only get you about 30 fps I bet. Megahertz does matter!

Still, the recommended specs for PC are 733Mhz P3 processor or greater (Celeron and Duron at 1Ghz I believe)

I just hope I can turn down all the fancy stuff (I don't need top notch graphics) and get a smooth game

One would hope that it won't be all that buggy at release because a lot of the code can be shared with the Linux version. For instance, the engine already does OpenGL, because the Linux version needs OpenGL. So there should be quite a bit of code reuse between the Linux version and the Mac version.

Not to say it won't take some significant time to find all the little differences and fix them, but it should be quicker, and more stable, than if he had to port the code from Windows.

Originally posted by LordOphidian
One would hope that it won't be all that buggy at release because a lot of the code can be shared with the Linux version. For instance, the engine already does OpenGL, because the Linux version needs OpenGL. So there should be quite a bit of code reuse between the Linux version and the Mac version.

Not to say it won't take some significant time to find all the little differences and fix them, but it should be quicker, and more stable, than if he had to port the code from Windows.

Exactly! Thankfully it won't have to be a full rewrite like many games we've seen

You can use opengl in the windows version also. I just hope they make use of duel processors, the game is very cpu intensive, and without it the performance on a $35000 Mac will be embarrassing.

I believe it will be out on OS X. I am playing it on PC now, and I have to tell you, this is one game to be reckoned with... until Doom 3 comes out... Trent Reznor is making the soundtrack for Doom III! And that is enough reason to take my money!

Back