Will you stop sharing as a result of RIAA act?

Will you stop sharing files?

• Yes. I have removed the share folder from my programs and/or shut down my file server.

• No! The RIAA will have to pry the mouse from my cold dead hand!

• I don't share now, or I never did

Results are only viewable after voting.
With 3 whole votes: 2 people said no and 1 said yes. I personally will be switching to a more secure P2P app or will be reverting back to good old IRC.

I like buying music from Apple's music store. Most of the time they have what I want, faster download, and it helps me sleep easy at night.

I gave my brother the message but I doubt he'll stop sharing until the RIAA arrive on our doorstep.
As for me, all my songs are from cd or video game songs "midi"

Well first of all, the RIAA is going to be targetting users with the most "substantial" accounts, meaning like people sharing huge amounts of stuff, and perhaps people with pre-release albums and that sort. So if you're that scared, just don't share if you have that much and you can't be targetted. Also, take note the RIAA is planning on filing thousands of lawsuits, so it getting you would be quite rare, and due to the huge amount of lawsuits their filing, I'd be suprised they got everyone by 2012.

My concience is clear. I download what I plan on buying. If it's good enough I order the CD. I use P2P for previews...heck, I'd buy less CDs if I didn't download stuff off of the net...
And I owe it to the community to share back...

voice-: Your conscience may be clear as water, problem is that a judge won't care about that.

Maybe he won't, but RIAA should care about just that...P2P is helping their sales.

Besides, can't touch me...

Originally posted by Dime5150
I was wondering the results of this.

I remember several months ago, the company I work for, which is a very large multi billion dollar corporation sent out an email to all of its employees telling them that they should delete all music that they downloaded from the internet using these P2P networks. If anyone was found with music downloaded on their computer, that they would be fired.

They (the CEO, etc, etc.) mentioned that this change in company policy (before it was as long as it didn't create a "hostile work environment," it was okay) was prompted by the RIAA contacting other companies and telling them that if they caught their employees downloaded bootleg software, that they would not sue the individual, but sue the company for authorizing the use of their computers to steal their music.

After getting this message I immediately deleted all of the music off of my work computer, which was about 10 or so songs from my stash at home.

After hearing about this stuff about the RIAA going after individuals and forcing ISPs to identify customers, got me a little scared, 'cause I know that the government supports punishment of people who steal intellectual property.

So at this point I'm seriously cutting back on Kazaa, Morpheus, until this things settles out.

But this is good news for the Apple Music Store, 'cause when I start feindin', I'mma hit 'em up. ;)

I have never shared with others but I have downloaded. I never felt good about it and about the time when iTMS came out, I stopped. I sort of liked being able to preview songs, but since Kazaa doesn't come with genre listings, it really ended up being a huge waste of time! iTMS works for me, and it will only get better. I hadn't bought a cd for over 2 years before iTMS, I was sick and tired of all the DRM bull****. The freebies that I've downloaded, I've replaced with legit purchases from iTMS when they are available. I will continue to do so, BUT I AM REALLY POed that Don McLean's American Pie is not available as a single. Oh well, it is not a perfect world, and until I can justify 10 big ones for that entire album, my pirated copy will remain where it is.

I'm in France, so forget about the RIAA. And besides, arresting people won't kill the P2P networks. I thought these people were paid to find constructive solutions, that's apparently not the case.

Not sure but I believe RIAA has international rights over its property, meaning they could file and put motions in courts in other countries.

Originally posted by Ugg
I have never shared with others but I have downloaded. I never felt good about it and about the time when iTMS came out, I stopped. I sort of liked being able to preview songs, but since Kazaa doesn't come with genre listings, it really ended up being a huge waste of time! iTMS works for me, and it will only get better. I hadn't bought a cd for over 2 years before iTMS, I was sick and tired of all the DRM bull****. The freebies that I've downloaded, I've replaced with legit purchases from iTMS when they are available. I will continue to do so, BUT I AM REALLY POed that Don McLean's American Pie is not available as a single. Oh well, it is not a perfect world, and until I can justify 10 big ones for that entire album, my pirated copy will remain where it is.

My problem with iTMS is that the songs are only 128kb. If I am going to pay $1.00 a song they better be CD quality. Otherwise I'm better off sampling songs via some P2P app and determining whether or not a CD is worth full purchase price.

between emusic.com and the iTunes music store, i don't ever feel the need to pirate music (legality notwithstanding).

i'd prefer to pay for music i DL, so all involved can get money for their work.

Originally posted by wtmcgee
between emusic.com and the iTunes music store, i don't ever feel the need to pirate music (legality notwithstanding).

i'd prefer to pay for music i DL, so all involved can get money for their work.

Yeah I've never had a problem with people getting the money they deserve. The funny thing is that for me being able to get MP3's actually increased my music purchases by 10x. Before CD Now went under aka I might have been their number one customer. :)

I think I purchased over 200 CD's in 2 years. Many of them was the result of listening to mp3's downloaded.

Originally posted by wtmcgee
it's still illegal :)

Yes it is. I think that given the option of allowing me to download music and then buying it versus never getting the money from me because I wouldn't have heard it, they would take the latter, but I do know that in many cases, people are not buying the music and just downloading it and that is definitely wrong from a moral level. I am not trying to justify anything. If you follow the letter of the law, then yes it is illegal. :)

Let's put it this way:

Is it illegal to make backup copies?
Is it illegal to have a separate copy for in your car?
Is it illegal to rip your CD's to mp3 for your iPod?

How do you do that when CD' s are "protected"?

Is it illegal to borrrow an album from your friends?
How long can you keep it befor it becomes "illegal"?
How much can you borrow or lend before it becomes illegal?

Should the RIAA or anyone else have the authority to "spy" on my harddisks? Or network traffic? When do they cross the privacy line?

Is listening to streams illegal?

Haven't we been making copies of vinyl on tape for ages? Or registered songs from the radio?

Can you find all the music you like in stores? I cannot! Many things I have to look for in second-hand shops or online, because they are not available in stores or even digitally in a "legal way".

My question is: Where do you draw a line?

Most p2p sharers are little fish, with less than 5 GB of songs. Who cares? The problem are the industrial size sharers, that publish material before it is released and that type of thing. Now I can understand that the RIAA and the artists are concerned about them, but they should keep their hands of the little fishes, because they do more harm than good, evne to themselves, by prosecuting those.

I should be free to use the internet and p2p or other programs to share a reasonable amount of data. When I buy a CD or other copyrighted data, I should be free to use it. I have paid my part, I must be able to use it for myself, my family and my close friends: fair, reasonable use. A copy in my car, ripped mp3 on my computer, a compilation for my little bro, etc. p2p goes one step further, but is still in line with this: fair, reasonable use. However, if my "friends" are in the millions and my files reach industrial size, there is a problem. The difficulty is to draw the line. AS long as you respect fair reasonable use I do not think the RIAA should be permitted to intervene.

i'm not getting into this. you guys can try to justify it all you want, but taking what isn't yours is illegal.

Nobody's telling you the contrary, unless I'm mistaken (I haven't read throught this thread again before writing this).

Back