WIN XP PC to TIGER FILE SHARING Problems

starlasaz

Registered
I'm trying to set up my winxp computer and my new powerbook g4 so they can share files at my home.

I'm pretty much aware of all the steps I have to do in order for this to work. I was able to connect the winxp computer at work to the macs there, but they are running panther, and not tiger.

So I'm doing all the things that I did previously at work and I am getting nowhere! Something has to be wrong with Tiger!

I am successfully sharing internet between the two computers. (CABLE MODEM---->PC--->AIRPORT EXPRESS WIRLESS---->POWERBOOK G4)

Is there anything new in Tiger that I have to do to get the mac & pc to share files?

When I try to add a network place on my pc, I type in the exact address to my mac and I get an error that says "The folder you have selected does not appear to be valid. Please select another folder."

And I have tried \\10.0.1.2\starlasaz (my account shortname) and \\10.0.1.2\pbook (my laptop name)

Can anyone help me? It would greatly be appreciate!

I haven't tried Tiger yet, but i'm guessing that somehow the settings have been reset. This is an assumption, but worth a try. Check under the Network or Sharing to see if Windows Sharing is enabled.

Hope this helps somewhat...

starlasaz said:
I'm trying to set up my winxp computer and my new powerbook g4 so they can share files at my home.

I'm pretty much aware of all the steps I have to do in order for this to work. I was able to connect the winxp computer at work to the macs there, but they are running panther, and not tiger.

So I'm doing all the things that I did previously at work and I am getting nowhere! Something has to be wrong with Tiger!

I am successfully sharing internet between the two computers. (CABLE MODEM---->PC--->AIRPORT EXPRESS WIRLESS---->POWERBOOK G4)

Is there anything new in Tiger that I have to do to get the mac & pc to share files?

When I try to add a network place on my pc, I type in the exact address to my mac and I get an error that says "The folder you have selected does not appear to be valid. Please select another folder."

And I have tried \\10.0.1.2\starlasaz (my account shortname) and \\10.0.1.2\pbook (my laptop name)

Can anyone help me? It would greatly be appreciate!
Shouldn't you be using forward slashes (/) rather than back-slashes (\)?

Yes! You're right! I figured that part out at 4am this morning!

So I'm able to connect from the mac to the pc. However I can't connect from the pc to the mac.

I think either I'm using the wrong ip address or something else is wrong! I'm adding a network place to my network places in winxp and I put in \\10.0.1.2\starlasaz (the ip and location mac tells me to share) and it gives me an error.

I can ping from the mac to the pc but I can't ping from the pc to the mac, I get a "request timed out" error.

I assume once I get that fixed it should all worked. Any suggestions?

For the Mac IP, go System Preferences > Sharing > and turn on Windows sharing. Then, you should see the IP towards the bottom of the Window. You may need to turn your Mac's firewall off.

Back