window backgrounds

kerisbf

geez o pete
hi! i'm still kinda new to this osx stuff, but i just found a really cool feature. you can change the backgrounds of your individual windows to a color or even a picture by opening a window, going to the View menu, and selecting Show View Options. very cool! :D

-kerisbf

Attachments

• desk shot 1.jpg
    desk shot 1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 148
yes you can.

welcome to osx and macosx.com!!

btw - you can find all sorts of little 'tricks' in the tips and tricks forum;)

You might want to try this, for a glassy effect.
Take your background (desktop) image and lighten or darken it by about 20%, and blur slightly. Save it into a separate file, and set this as your window background.
Makes the windows look translucent, works best with abstract or vague images. However, if you scroll beyond the picture, the effect is ruined, as it doesn't tile.
Notice that in the view-options dialogue there are "global" settings. Any window set to global will follow these settings. Handy, no?
:p

While I have been able to set the background of a window to either a picture or color I have not been able to make the setting stick after reboot. when I come back online the color or picture is gone. What am I doing wrong here?

Nate
mailto: ncouch@yahoo.com

There are some things to watch out for:

1. You 'probably' can't change window settings on folders you don't actually own or have access to.

2. Check your Finder preferences (under the Finder menu) as these will affect your view.

3. This information doesn't seem to be stored when you burn a CD.

You could, of course, edit the Global view and then apply the "global" style to any windows you've edited the props of (window will be in global style until you change settings). This will make the process much easier.

Actually what I ended up doing was buying Jaguar and it works like a champ now. I do suspect your first option as being the ase as I do remember the permissions not being what I thought at one time.

Cheers.

Back