Window Media Player for OSX wont open DRM

DarkSorrow

Registered
i download a DRM movie file. and i know Window Media Player is the only one that can run DRM file. so i open it and it give me error

Cannot open the file. Verify that the path and filename are correct and try again.

I have BootCamp installed as well and use Window XP also, in Window, it open the movie perfectly.

So it not the file issue, it seem it the Window Media Player for OSX having issue. how i solve this problem, i hate dual-booting to Bootcamp.

Windows Media Player for OS X is dead. Unfortunately, there is no replacement that can play DRM'd Windows Media files. For files without DRM, you can use Flip4Mac WMV Player, which is now officially recommended by Microsoft.

I have not heard of any plans to release a DRM-compatible WMV player for Mac. I'm afraid you'll have to stick with Boot Camp or another Windows compatibility product like Parallels.

i download a DRM movie file. and i know Window Media Player is the only one that can run DRM file. so i open it and it give me error

What Mikuro forgot to tell you is that nothing on the Mac has ever been able to play DRMed Windows Media. When Windows Media Player was supported, it didn't play DRMed WM content. Now that it is no longer supported, it most certainly can't do it. Microsoft has not seen fit to license its DRM scheme to any Mac developer.

oh that explain it.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask it, but is it possible to strip DRM off the media file and let the media file play without using DRM?

I heard this is possible on mp3. but never heard on any movie format.

What MisterMe said. There _is_ however a way to play DRM'd WMVs on your Mac: Install Windows. On an intel Mac, you can use Parallels to run Windows XP (for example) virtualised within OS X or BootCamp to boot into Windows. It's neither an elegant (because Windows isn't) or inexpensive solution though, because Microsoft Windows costs a lot of money regardless of the version.

What MisterMe said. There _is_ however a way to play DRM'd WMVs on your Mac: Install Windows. On an intel Mac, you can use Parallels to run Windows XP (for example) virtualised within OS X or BootCamp to boot into Windows. It's neither an elegant (because Windows isn't) or inexpensive solution though, because Microsoft Windows costs a lot of money regardless of the version.

well i do have Boot Camp and Window Xp installed.

It not lot of money if you buy OEM. I went to Frys store to get XP Home, cost 179 bucks. while walking around with XP Home exposed to worker at Frys. One of the worker saw it and told me that i dont need to buy Xp Home, i can get Xp Home OEM for 100 bucks. I said sure. While installing Boot Camp and reading the manual, it said that OEM dont work with Boot Camp, but i already open box and it unreturnable if i open it. But i went ahead to install it and it work fine with OEM.

I dont understand why Boot Camp said that it wont work with OEM. it Frys OEM. When i installed it, it look like XP Home without any crap installed like Dell and HP stuffs. Maybe it wont work with Dell and HP but will work with some OEM.

I did try to install Parallels but sadly it wont installed in FAT32 external HDD. the reason why i set that HDD as FAT32 because i want to use it while Boot Camp and OSX too. it need to be HFS+ partition to get Parallels install in it. Is there a way to get HFS+ partition in FAT32? i mean like get 20GB for HFS+ without reformatting the whole HDD

If you already have Windows XP installed for use with Boot Camp, the latest version of Parallels should be able to use that, so you won't need to install Windows again.

Is there a reason you can't install Parallels on your OS X volume (which I assume is HFS+)? The Parallels application is separate from the Windows installation it uses, so you won't need 20GB on the volume to install Parallels.

$180 to watch small movies... that's a lot.

i said i brought 100 bucks for Xp Home OEM, there is a difference between OEM and regular. and it not the only reason why i got XP for the movie, i also use for gaming. I know Parallels got 3d gaming working but it not native, so i use Boot Camp because it native as well. i dont need to worry about Parallels and OSX using Graphic Ram because im not sure if Parallels will use the full screen on my MBP and ignore the OSX GUI. since Boot Camp, i dont need to worry about that.

If you already have Windows XP installed for use with Boot Camp, the latest version of Parallels should be able to use that, so you won't need to install Windows again.

Is there a reason you can't install Parallels on your OS X volume (which I assume is HFS+)? The Parallels application is separate from the Windows installation it uses, so you won't need 20GB on the volume to install Parallels.

i just found out how much Parallels take my HDD space, just 30MB. You mean if i install Parallels, it will use my Boot Camp Window partition?

Based of what i heard from people, they said they have to reinstall for Boot camp and Parallels. And they said that you have to call MS to get the second product key to get XP both working with Boot Camp and Parallels. Im not sure how the process work.

Will the Mac Drivers in XP will interfere with Parallels? im not sure if Parallels have their own driver for it.

Back