Windows and MacOS networking

Captain Sulu

Registered
Hi there, I've got a problem that seemed to raise it's ugly head with no forwarning....

I would like to send my iTunes music directory to my windowsXP box but when I log in to windows from the Mac and try to transfer these files, I get a message on the Mac saying "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient priviledges". I'm running MacOS 10.4.3.

To do this I usually select 'go' on the finder pull down menu and select 'connect to server'. The mac will find the windows box ok and connect to it (i've got a folder in the windows root directory set for sharing). I just cant send anything to it!!! :-(

I am logged into the mac as an administrator and I have given all directories, subdirectories and files that I want to transfer adminstrator read and write priviledges.... it's still saying I don't have the rights to move them though...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions guys and gals!
Kind regards
Chris

OK, you are logged into your Windows computer as an administrator. You are logged into your Mac as an administrator. From the Windows side, what is the privilege level you have given to the remote user on the Mac?

It doesn't have anything to do with user privileges. It has something to do with the sharing options for that folder or drive.
What you need to do is to setup a folder or drive on your windows machine that is not within the home folder of the windows user. For example: C:\sharing. Simply create such a directory and right click it to change the sharing features. Make sure that folder is shared and that users may change files on this using the right network channel (lan1 or wherever your mac is connected to your pc). Here you can setup write or read privileges but if you simply allow local network members to access that folder, you don't need to password protect it unless you have some users within your local network that shouldn't be able to log in there. If that's what you did and it's still not working, does it work reversed: share your music folder to the network and try to access it from the windows machine?

Hi all,

I just encountered this same problem while transferring my music files from PC to Mac. As it turns out, the solution is simple, as such solutions are wont to be. On the PC, right-click the music folder which you have shared (in my case, "iTunes Music") and enter the "Sharing and Security" dialog. In the General tab, you might see a grey check in the "Read-only" field of the Attributes section -- this means that some of the sub-folders are Read-only. Uncheck this box and say yes to the new dialog box. By doing this you remove any Read-only attributes that your sub-folders had retained. Try the transfer again and you should'nt have any further problem.

Cheers,

Terry

Back