Windows apps on PB G4 (Was: "Help.")

seansea

Registered
For payment on a freelance art project, I got a used Powerbook G4 with OSX installed on it. Since my PC died, I was happy to get a free computer. The laptop works fine, but the problem that I'm having is that some of my graphics apps I've got (Photoshop CS2, Painter IX) are windows editions. I've heard that Virtural PC runs horribly with graphics apps, and I don't want to re-buy the software. Parrallels wont even run on it either. Am I going to have to get a new PC anyway?

Basically; unless you get new software. Licenses aren't transferable, and like you said, graphics apps would run horribly under emulation.

However, I disagree with getting a PC again. The new Intel-based Macs run Windows too. Sell this laptop and buy a new MacBook. :)

Terrible thread title ("Help.") and wrong forum ("Help - the support application"). Moved the thread and adjusted the title.

Wouldn't a new PC _also_ cost money? You could look at cross-upgrade pricing for Adobe's software you're using. Asking doesn't hurt.

It may not be the perfect solution but if spending money on a new computer and/or software is not something you can afford right now, you should look into the open source software that you can run on the mac. There's free software options, that you can use instead of commercial leading software, available to UNIX systems.

I'm not experienced with the software but maybe someone else can advise further with this option if it sounds appealing to you.

Back