Windows, C, Java & X

Well. I never thought i'd see the day i was ever programming. Anyways, for some reason my networking course (Im doin' the Diploma now) involves three programming modules.
VB, which i must say is a sh*t.
C, & Java. Now, VB i obviously cant do on a mac, so i did all that in class. but C & Java, HAHA! Java i know is not a problem, i can simply run the compiled thingo (i have no idea what java is compiled into except those weird .class & .jar files) in the applet launcher.
But what about C? i know i can do the coding basically anywhere, send the source home or to tafe via email, and compile it, but what can i use to compile it here at home, and if i compile it using say, the GNU command-line compiler, will it work in X, as an app with a GUI? can someone gimme some idea of what i should have, and what i need, and anything else at all i need to know?

Thanks.

QP.

Apple's free developer tools includes a C compiler.

If you just write a straight C program, without using nonstandard libraries, there will not be a GUI; rather you can run the program from the Terminal. The GUI libraries are platform specific but you shouldn't have to worry about them.

If you bought OS X, you should have a Developer CD with the installer there.

If OS X was already on your computer you should have an /Applications/Installers folder with the installer there.

You can get it from apple if you're a registered developer (it's free).

Cheers!

Incidentally, doesn't MS Office for Mac have VBA? ...if you had office...

-Rob

Ok, two things:
Yes i SHOULD have got the Dev. Tools CD IF I had bought X. But we all know i didnt. So :p
Anyways. And as for VBA. I do have Office X, and I looked at it, and it may be fine for doin stuff like playin with data people have in an excel file, or whatever, but for creatin a whole new program? No thanks.

Thanks for the help anyways.

QP

Back