Windows emulation on Power Mac G5?

IceDigger

Registered
I just bought a used dual processor G5 2.5GHz with 3.5GB ram and am wondering what windows emulator to use. Guest PC or Virtual PC.

Is Virtual PC even being developed anymore?

I basically need it just to run outlook 2003 and my pocket pc with windows mobile 5.

You don't emulate Windows. You emulate an Intel-based PC which runs Windows or any other OS which is compatible with the PC-compatible platform. The best performing emulator is Virtual PC. Guest PC is a curiosity.

Qemu, or it's macos x version, 'Q', is an open source emulator of any type of computer on any type of computer.

it's free, if not particualrly fast. it's also quite flexible, and a lot cheaper than the £300-odd it costs for VPC and a copy of windows.

I also recommend using Q. It's much easier to use than QEMU since it's been ported to Cocoa and functions like a normal Mac application.

First I'm sorry for bumping an 4 yo topic.

I was trying to get Windows 7 working on my powermac g5 wich I am planning to give to my sister.
Specs aint legendary:
Dual core 2.0 ghz (single processor 2 cores)
2 gb of ram
A old vga from a g4 wich has meet the dremel :p
120gb hard drive scavenged from a Dell
Mac os x tiger 10.4.11

So I tried Q emualator it instaled fine.
But after setting everything up and starting it it wont load from cd drive or from a disk image.
I have a working windows 7 Distro dvd in the slot it show up in Mac os x.
I also have mad a dmg of that same disk.

But when I try to boot it is says:
ata1 master: QEMU CD-ROM ATAPI-4 CD-Rom/DVD-Rom

CDROM boot failure code : 0004
Boot from CD-Rom failed (says those 2 lines twice)
(then it says)
FATAL: Could not read the boot disk.

I don't get it everything is configured right its a working windows 7 distro (I am currently running it on my pc)
I already checked his website http://www.kju-app.org/
Sadly the website is broken and the tut I found over the Internet ain't very helpful towards my problem.

Does anybody know what I should do or do I have to do something to the image I'm realy lost.

Who in his right mind would try to install Windows 7 of an Intel-based PC from 2005? If you run Windows 7, then I suggest that you get a Windows PC with the OS preinstalled or get an Intel-based Mac. Even if it were possible to do run the OS, running Windows 7 under QEMU sounds like a quick way to drive yourself crazy.

Who in his right mind would try to install Windows 7 of an Intel-based PC from 2005? If you run Windows 7, then I suggest that you get a Windows PC with the OS preinstalled or get an Intel-based Mac. Even if it were possible to do run the OS, running Windows 7 under QEMU sounds like a quick way to drive yourself crazy.

Its just so that she can also use windows programs if she needs to.
I already have a windows based pc :p
its Q emulator wich is based of QEMU but isn't QEMU.
My only question is if somebody know how I could get it to boot the dvd or the .dmg

That mac runs Tiger all I want is to get windows 7 running.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that isn't going to happen. One of the user reviews on MacUpdate claims that Q is slower than Virtual PC. I have experience with VPC running Windows XP on my 2.0 GHz and 2.5 GHz dual Power Mac G5s. On the slower machine, XP became unusable. On the 2.5 GHz machine, it was not much better. Windows 7 is much more resource consumptive than XP. Your ability to run a slower emulator hosting Windows 7 is less than non-existent.

From what I can see, Q users use the emulator primarily to run Intel-based distributions of Linux, not Windows, on their PPC-based Macs.

I got it running in virtual pc.
It works slow but sure.
I expected it to be worse I can say its faster that a Dell dimension pentium and even a Dell dual core amd wich were running XP.
Anyway my sis got happy with it the windows is only for those programs that dont run on mac os x or the powerpc architecture (she mostly internets so not realy a big problem)

Back